how much do your basic science courses count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cataluna78

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In regards to all the anxieties and pressure over our attempts to obtain the residencies we want, just how much do your preclinical grades count (MS I, MS II)? First two years, i heard count less than the latter 3, 4th. And Far less than the boards. Some upper classmen have suggested to me that first 2 years are almost worthless, as long as you pass. Some have stated that for competetive residencies, it is essential to get mostly honors and some HP. Can someone who's knowegeable in this matter, please explain or break it down by approx. percentage, in terms of your whole porfolio for residency match? (preclinal, clinical grades, reserach, recommendation, boards step I,II and any other relevant factors)
Thank you very much for your concern.

Members don't see this ad.

do your best.
there are no easy answers to your questions.
but, for the most part, you can't assure yourself of any position by doing well on any portion. you can eliminate yourself with a poor performance however.
use your common sense, boards allow comparison of your test results to those of others. aoa recognition same.

I haven't found that anyone has commented on any particular grade during any of my interviews for surgery. I go to a school that gives letter grades, so I actually have a numeric GPA. Our first two years added up to 80 credits, the third year was 84. So consequently, the weight of classes is the first two years isn't nearly as great as the clinical grades. All anyone has commented on is my overall total GPA. They don't seem to be analyzing my transcript or reading my dean's letter. It seems the biggest factor is my letters of recommendation (especially if the interviewer knows or is in the same area of surgery as one of my letter writer)

Basic science courses don't seem to hold too much weight I think. Unless you fail or marginal pass or something. But I would still study my ass off during basic sciences just so I could do well in Step 1, which counts a hell of a lot... a lot more than expected. The program director of anesthesia at my school said that certain programs would accept people just based upon a great Step I score. Don't know how true that is though, and of course it depends upon the specialty and the program...

I saw a list in a residency book made by residency directors about characteristics in terms of rank importance for residency. And in all of the lists, none of them mention ms1/ms2 grades. more important were clincial grades, letters, boards, interview, etc. but dont fail ms1/ms2 that would be bad.