How much does a 4.0gpa in a master's improve my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjabramoff

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a similar thread about a year ago.

To recap:

DAT
20AA, 20TS, 21PAT (lowest: 19QR)

Undergrad
oGPA: 3.15
sGPA: 2.5
BCP: 2.7
(If only counting recent undergrad science courses, both sGPA and BCP are around 3.0)

Graduate (SMP, about 75% complete)
oGPA: 4.0
sGPA: 4.0
BCP: 4.0

Cumulative GPA (undergrad + graduate)
oGPA: 3.23
sGPA: 2.8
BCP: 3.1

This will be my third time applying. I'm worried dental schools are going to be looking at the cumulative numbers instead of the high graduate GPA I've kept up for the past year. :(

I'm trying to go to the cheapest school I can get into with my stats in the East, preference in New England (but not schools open only a few years). Here's my list:

U Conn
Rutgers
Buffalo (first choice due to in-state tuition)
U Pitt
Temple
CWRU
Maryland
Stony Brook (not sure if I have a shot here)

And the following in other areas/larger tuitions just in case:
USC Ostrow
Western
Nova
Tufts

Are there any schools I'm overlooking with my stats? Or schools that will weigh my graduate GPA more?

On another note: should I consider retaking the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Stony and UCONN are reaches. Add NYU, it can't hurt. Better safe than sorry. May not be a bad idea to retake the DAT but you need to be sure that you can score higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're willing to try USC but not NYU? o_O
UConn is quite difficult to get into with only 35(?) seats.

You gotta apply broadly for the best chances. This could mean applying to 15 schools. Ideally, they would consider that aspect carefully, but nowadays, it is also very easy for them to implement automatic filters where if a cumulative GPA doesn't meet a threshold, nobody on the adcom is even going to even see your application with their own eyes. As unfair as it may be, that just happens to be a very efficient way for them to narrow down the applicant pool.

D'oh, forgot NYU. Will definitely be applying there as it's physically the closest to home for me.

You gotta apply broadly for the best chances. This could mean applying to 15 schools. Ideally, they would consider that aspect carefully, but nowadays, it is also very easy for them to implement automatic filters where if a cumulative GPA doesn't meet a threshold, nobody on the adcom is even going to even see your application with their own eyes. As unfair as it may be, that just happens to be a very efficient way for them to narrow down the applicant pool.

Yes, I learned this the hard way when I applied to both MWU's in different cycles and was rejected for the same reason within weeks of submitting: my sGPA was below their threshold (but above the range listed in the guide book, strangely enough). Even though my grad GPA has put me above the threshold now, I'm wary of applying to these schools again and throwing money away.

Reactions: 1 user