how much does applying cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much did it/will it end up costing?

• $0 - $1,000

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • $1,001 - $2,000

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • $2,001 - $3,000

Votes: 35 18.6%
  • $3,001 - $4,000

Votes: 49 26.1%
  • $4,001 - $5,000

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • More than $5,000

Votes: 59 31.4%

• Total voters

banana5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

banana5 said:
How much did applying to med school cost you (MCAT prep, applying to schools, travel expenses, etc.)?

Just wondering how much I should be looking to save - I'd really like to avoid taking out loans until med school itself.

Totally depends on how many schools you are applying to, and how far away from home you are applying. Including MCAT prep, would expect to allocate a few grand to the process at least. But there's probably someone who had a shoe string budget, applied mostly locally and did fine with less.

Members don't see this ad :)
banana5 said:
How much did applying to med school cost you (MCAT prep, applying to schools, travel expenses, etc.)?

Just wondering how much I should be looking to save - I'd really like to avoid taking out loans until med school itself.

A lot lol. I never took an MCAT course so i got away with that for 50$ but I also dont have a score of 40 to brag about ( I ended up with a 30)

Approxamately 2000$ for apps, mail, so on.

Figure 500$ or more for every interview that you cant drive to and you dont have a friend to stay with.

Hope that helps

I spent approx. $3000. 21 schools on AMCAS, 15 secondary fees, 8 interviews (but as an MSTP applicant, I never paid for my hotel, and I only had to pay for transportation for 6 of the 8). I studied independently for the MCAT.

I applied to 40 schools ($1300 primary), completed 36 secondaries (~$3500), and had 5 interviews (~$2000).. and 1 acceptance fee ($100)

Grand total ~$7000.00

If you don't take an MCAT course, that can save you around 1k right there. And you might get lower MCAT scores too, which will also save you money when interview season rolls around.

dbhvt said:
If you don't take an MCAT course, that can save you around 1k right there. And you might get lower MCAT scores too, which will also save you money when interview season rolls around.

:laugh:

I spent about 3000. No mcat prep course, 14 schools, 11 secondaries, 3 interviews, 3 acceptances, one deposit. I didn't count the deposit in my total becauset taht will go toward tuitition next year. I worked about 60 hours a week in the summer to pay for it all myself, and maybe 20 hours a week during the school year. Its doable. Don't worry too much about it, just bust your ass in the summer and work during the school year and you will be fine. It's really satisfying when you pay for it all your self.

*points pinky to mouth* one...million..dollars.

this poll needs increased amounts.... 29 secondaries, attended 11 interviews, princeton review mcat course, suit from mens warehouse, estimated 10K dollars, acceptance from first choice, priceless

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm an osteo student. I talked with an allopathic student and he said the secondary fees for some schools he was applying to was ridiculous. He said it was something like $150 a pop :eek:

Is that true or was he pulling my tail?

CatsandCradles said:
Hi, I'm an osteo student. I talked with an allopathic student and he said the secondary fees for some schools he was applying to was ridiculous. He said it was something like $150 a pop :eek:

Is that true or was he pulling my tail?
I never heard of $150. I submitted 23 secondaries and the average I'd say is maybe $90. $2000 for secondaries alone!

The majority of my secondaries were $100 a pop. The only one that I remember that was less was my state school, and even that was $75.

banana5 said:
at least the over $5k group is no longer in the lead. This is still pretty bad news... I'm guessing you all had summer jobs for a while?

One full time job, one part time job, part time class, MCAT. It can be done - just kinda sucks. But that acceptance.... Absof***inlutely priceless! :clap:

Hari Kari said:
The majority of my secondaries were $100 a pop. The only one that I remember that was less was my state school, and even that was $75.

So if we take Georgtown....

7,500 applicants and let's take a wild guess and subtract 3,000 from that...

So 4,500 send in secondaries so: 4,500 x $100 = $450,000 in application fees? :eek:

Whoa.

CatsandCradles said:
So if we take Georgtown....

7,500 applicants and let's take a wild guess and subtract 3,000 from that...

So 4,500 send in secondaries so: 4,500 x $100 = $450,000 in application fees? :eek:

Whoa.
I figure that each school also collects at least a portion of the $30 AMCAS fee as well. The fee for your first school should more than cover any administrative expenses for AMCAS. In your example, operating under the assumption that a school will get $15 from each primary, that's another $112,500 tacked onto the total. Not a bad haul, if you ask me. Also bear in mind that interviewees make all of their own travel arrangements, unlike graduate schools. Education is a great business.

Almost all my secondary fees were $100. They've been going up the last few years. Can you imagine how much schools like the Californias and Colorado are making with 8,000+ applications completed EVERY YEAR? In app fees alone (and a portion of the amcas fee), they're making $1M every single year. And yet for all this money, there are still many spelling errors, communication errors, etc. at many schools. I mean, really - wtf?

As for the allo student saying his app fees were $150, perhaps he was figuring in the amcas fee in addition to his secondary fee per application.

ShyRem said:
Almost all my secondary fees were $100. They've been going up the last few years. Can you imagine how much schools like the Californias and Colorado are making with 8,000+ applications completed EVERY YEAR? In app fees alone (and a portion of the amcas fee), they're making $1M every single year. And yet for all this money, there are still many spelling errors, communication errors, etc. at many schools. I mean, really - wtf?

You know what I'll do at work tonight? I'll bring my TI-83 along with that US News and World Report book on the schools and make a data sheet of what these schools are hauling in.

It would be interesting to see what happens. I'm an EMT-B, so we sleep most of the time anyway!

One of the poll options should be: your soul, because honestly, it takes all of your time, energy and effort to get those secondaries out, especially if you're working full time.
Quite a bit of money. I think my Amcas was $500, my secondaries were anywhere from $60-$100 each (CU Denver was the most expensive, then Tulane, then the UCs-), then you interview, which can run about $200-$400 for just the plane tix, the suit? $100-????? depending on your style/funding, food while travelling and time off work.
Plan to have a good credit limit, a little savings or something... :eek:

AMCAS 15 schools.
15 Secondaries
5 Interviews

Total= $2,600

Total + MCAT (course, test fee, practice tests)= $4,400

charles82 said:
AMCAS 15 schools.
15 Secondaries
5 Interviews

Total= $2,600

Total + MCAT (course, test fee, practice tests)= $4,400
It will end up as a drop in the bucket. Just do as much as you cen until you are in med school, then start saving for your residency applications which will cost much more. It's a never ending cycle.

richjerkworks said:
It will end up as a drop in the bucket. Just do as much as you cen until you are in med school, then start saving for your residency applications which will cost much more. It's a never ending cycle.

so basically you're saying to hold off selling the kidney?

i'm prob gonna pay ~5k, hopefully way less, it all depends

how many of these threads are running around?

a minimum wage job won't cut it. work for tips or sell drugs. the end
-mota

Hari Kari said:

Are you factoring in bribes? Mine were expensive this year.