How much does applying cost??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MooseKing

Senior Balla
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering how much it costs for each school i apply to. i have read on some posts that there is an extra cost for secondaries, interviews, etc. Numbers would be very helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how many schools you want to apply to.

Primary is 240+30 a school. Assumning you apply to 15 schools, that is 690.

Secondary is about 80 to 130, depending on the schools. Let's take an average of 100 a school. That is 1500.

690+1500=2190

Now let's assume you get 5 interviews out of 15. 3 of those interviews you can drive to, 2 of them you have to fly to.

3 driving = 80 dollars for gas; 240 bucks.
2 flying = 250 round trip airfare. 500 bucks.

That comes out to a total of 2930 for 15 schools.

Of course that is just a rough estimate. It also depends on your stats. I personally have crappy stats so I'm applying to 30 schools. I'm budgeting about 7000 for this process because I expect that I'll need to fly to every interview, and that it'll all be expensive (I'm on the west coast applying to the east coast).

Depends on how many schools you want to apply to.

Primary is 240+30 a school. Assumning you apply to 15 schools, that is 690.

Secondary is about 80 to 130, depending on the schools. Let's take an average of 100 a school. That is 1500.

690+1500=2190

Now let's assume you get 5 interviews out of 15. 3 of those interviews you can drive to, 2 of them you have to fly to.

3 driving = 80 dollars for gas; 240 bucks.
2 flying = 250 round trip airfare. 500 bucks.

Of course that is just a rough estimate. It also depends on your stats. I personally have crappy stats so I'm applying to 30 schools. I'm budgeting about 7000 for this process because I expect that I'll need to fly to every interview, and that it'll all be expensive (I'm on the west coast applying to the east coast).

Agree with this calculation, and note that sometimes you may need to stay overnight in a hotel for a distant school (if the school doesn't offer up a host).
$7k is probably high -- applying to twice as many schools doesn't always means you get twice as many interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh law2doc, let me dream.

if you drive then GAS money.....
Some applied to 33 schools. thats a small fortune.

Agree with this calculation, and note that sometimes you may need to stay overnight in a hotel for a distant school (if the school doesn't offer up a host).
$7k is probably high -- applying to twice as many schools doesn't always means you get twice as many interviews.

i found this out the hard way, and had to spend 3k more.

Primary is 240+30 a school. Assumning you apply to 15 schools, that is 690

I thought the primary was around $160 plus $30/school after the first?

It is. I paid $400 for my primary and applied to 9 schools. So the calculation above is off. For 15 schools, I'd go for more like...

Primary:
$160 + $30(14) = $580

Secondaries:
$100 * 15 schools = $1500

Interviews (2 driving... I can only drive to one of mine, personally, and 4 flying):
Driving = $60 for gas (roughly 2 tanks in my car)
Flying = $300 round trip (most of mine are more) * 4
Hotels (you can sometimes get out of this) = $50/night * 4
Total = $1460

And, of course, you can add your MCAT ($210), maybe some prep materials (not a course, I spent ~$180), perhaps a suit (we'll say $150).

Total cost: a little over $4000, which I think is about average.

Depends on where you live, where you applied, how strong your stats are (how many interviews you get), etc.

...or you could go the wimpy, cheap way (like me) and only apply to 2 in state schools. It looks like this whole process is only going to cost me ~$400. Here's hoping I haven't overestimated my chances and get in this cycle.:scared:

It is. I paid $400 for my primary and applied to 9 schools. So the calculation above is off. For 15 schools, I'd go for more like...

Primary:
$160 + $30(14) = $580

Secondaries:
$100 * 15 schools = $1500

Interviews (2 driving... I can only drive to one of mine, personally, and 4 flying):
Driving = $60 for gas (roughly 2 tanks in my car)
Flying = $300 round trip (most of mine are more) * 4
Hotels (you can sometimes get out of this) = $50/night * 4
Total = $1460

And, of course, you can add your MCAT ($210), maybe some prep materials (not a course, I spent ~$180), perhaps a suit (we'll say $150).

Total cost: a little over $4000, which I think is about average.

Depends on where you live, where you applied, how strong your stats are (how many interviews you get), etc.

I took a Kaplan online prep as it had been 4 years since I had taken the pre-reqs, so add $1700.

Plus, I'll have to park at the airport for the days when I'm at interviews which =$10. Since I have 9 interviews and some I'll be away for more than 1 day per interview, I'll roughly pay $150.

Add a $15 gift card for each student host x 6 hosts = $90.

The list goes on for these little extra costs (renting a car in some places for $40/day, eating, taking taxi to airport from hosts', etc).

Check to see if you qualify for the AMCAS Fee Assistance Program. It will make the MCAT $85 instead of $210. AMCAS fees will be come free for the first 12 schools then $30/school after that. Most schools will also waive their secondary if you have this waiver (some will not).

thanks guys for your posts, they were really helpful. i didnt realize that it would cost me this much to apply- i better get a part time job :(

I've spent about $5300 so far (including prep course). Not fun.

Depends on what you factor in to cost, heres mine, where I ED'd so only applied to 1 school:

Kaplan Course- $1800
MCAT - $210
AMCAS Primary- $160
Secondary fee- $50
New suit - $400
-------------------
TOTAL $2620