how much does doing research that got published matter to medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does doing research that got published matter to medical schools? Because I've done a lot of undergrad research under professors including in plant biology, genetics/global health (I helped contribute to innovative solutions in healthcare, food preservation and storage issues in India, Africa, and Indonesia. I even helped edit proposals to meet length requirements (so fun) but never got my name on them), and environment science/evolution and ecology (I did research on the new york water supply and issues concerning it that needed to be re-examined and learned a lot and I was supposed to be published, but it fell through). How much of a deal breaker is it that I haven't gotten published? i've been fervently trying to get published since my sophomore year of college, but it just didn't happen :(. I even had a professor offer me a basically guaranteed research that'd get me publish, but he gave it to a grad student instead because he wasn't comfortable with the fact i didnt have enough lab experience :(. I have lots of other e.c.s besides this stuff too.

Members don't see this ad.

How much does doing research that got published matter to medical schools? Because I've done a lot of undergrad research under professors including in plant biology, genetics/global health (I helped contribute to innovative solutions in healthcare, food preservation and storage issues in India, Africa, and Indonesia. I even helped edit proposals to meet length requirements (so fun) but never got my name on them), and environment science/evolution and ecology (I did research on the new york water supply and issues concerning it that needed to be re-examined and learned a lot and I was supposed to be published, but it fell through). How much of a deal breaker is it that I haven't gotten published? i've been fervently trying to get published since my sophomore year of college, but it just didn't happen :(. I even had a professor offer me a basically guaranteed research that'd get me publish, but he gave it to a grad student instead because he wasn't comfortable with the fact i didnt have enough lab experience :(. I have lots of other e.c.s besides this stuff too.
Not a deal breaker at all. Publications are nice, but not expected.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently discussed this with my boss, who's involved with the admissions process. Publications are good, but they matter less for medical school admissions that they do for residencies and fellowships. If you gained valuable experiences in your research, medical schools won't look down on you very much at all for not getting published, but once you get up to residencies, it's all about publications.

It won't be looked at unfavorably, so long as you can talk intelligently about what you did. Presentations are helpful as well.

If you do have a publication, it's an advantage.