How much does GPA matter? And is residency worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

requiem3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of people say you just need to pass your classes and boards for optometry, and that having a GPA won't help you in itself to get a job.(although I'm sure you'd be more knowledgeable and thus a better doctor) How much truth is there to this?
Also, is residency after optometry school worth it? And how high a GPA do you need to be a competitive candidate for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that residencies do count a little bit and also what school you went to. Established schools with good rotations will let you get almost any job. As for the competitive private practice jobs such as in the suburbs of big cities where 20 ODs apply for one position they take you based on how good your personality is. Just stuff I've heard.

I've heard a lot of people say you just need to pass your classes and boards for optometry, and that having a GPA won't help you in itself to get a job.(although I'm sure you'd be more knowledgeable and thus a better doctor) How much truth is there to this?
Also, is residency after optometry school worth it? And how high a GPA do you need to be a competitive candidate for residency?

The most important attribute you can bring to the table is an ability to make money for the practice you are going to work for.