Interested in Residency, don't know much about it

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optometry97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!! I am a second-semester first year and I am thinking strongly about pursuing a residency in the future. I don't know much about it, and with classes being mostly online I haven't been able to reach out to faculty or many of the upper-year students. What is some general info about residencies in optometry, pros/cons? What's a general timeline for applying/requirements/etc. Is it very competitive? Do programs favor certain schools, or is it solely based on the applicant's stats? Are you able to apply to residencies in multiple states, meaning get licensed in multiple states? I'm really new to the idea and I'm just trying to gain any insight, so any information at all would be appreciated! Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure you're school has a dean or residency coordinator that's sole role is managing programs. Talk to them, or the current residents at your school on their perspective.

Hello!! I am a second-semester first year and I am thinking strongly about pursuing a residency in the future. I don't know much about it, and with classes being mostly online I haven't been able to reach out to faculty or many of the upper-year students. What is some general info about residencies in optometry, pros/cons? What's a general timeline for applying/requirements/etc. Is it very competitive? Do programs favor certain schools, or is it solely based on the applicant's stats? Are you able to apply to residencies in multiple states, meaning get licensed in multiple states? I'm really new to the idea and I'm just trying to gain any insight, so any information at all would be appreciated! Thank you!!

Residency is a one-year commitment post-graduation in which you sub specialize in a field of optometry: specialty contact lenses, neuro, BV/VT, ocular disease, pediatrics, low vision, or primary care. The year is intensive where you are treated like a full doctor and given much tougher cases that you could normally "punt" if you were in practice and didn't feel comfortable managing it. It is a phenomenal experience, and I personally believe it should be the standard of our education.

What's a general timeline for applying/requirements/etc? --- You apply for them the last semester of your 4th year in school. Requirements vary by each program (grades, NBEO scores, etc).

Is it very competitive? --- Depends on the program. Some programs like at Bascom Palmer or Mass Eye and Ear get 40+ applicants. Some rural private practices may only get one or two applicants. There may be 4-5 residency slots or 1 residency slot per location.

Do programs favor certain schools, or is it solely based on the applicant's stats? --- Some schools are known to be more "competitive" than others, but in the end it is your desire to advance your education and your interview skills that count.

Are you able to apply to residencies in multiple states, meaning get licensed in multiple states? --- You can apply to residency in any state you'd like, but I wouldn't get licensed in any state until you've been accepted into the program. That'll save you some money.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you're school has a dean or residency coordinator that's sole role is managing programs. Talk to them, or the current residents at your school on their perspective.
Thanks for your response!

Residency is a one-year commitment post-graduation in which you sub specialize in a field of optometry: specialty contact lenses, neuro, BV/VT, ocular disease, pediatrics, low vision, or primary care. The year is intensive where you are treated like a full doctor and given much tougher cases that you could normally "punt" if you were in practice and didn't feel comfortable managing it. It is a phenomenal experience, and I personally believe it should be the standard of our education.

What's a general timeline for applying/requirements/etc? --- You apply for them the last semester of your 4th year in school. Requirements vary by each program (grades, NBEO scores, etc).

Is it very competitive? --- Depends on the program. Some programs like at Bascom Palmer or Mass Eye and Ear get 40+ applicants. Some rural private practices may only get one or two applicants. There may be 4-5 residency slots or 1 residency slot per location.

Do programs favor certain schools, or is it solely based on the applicant's stats? --- Some schools are known to be more "competitive" than others, but in the end it is your desire to advance your education and your interview skills that count.

Are you able to apply to residencies in multiple states, meaning get licensed in multiple states? --- You can apply to residency in any state you'd like, but I wouldn't get licensed in any state until you've been accepted into the program. That'll save you some money.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I greatly appreciate it! :)

Hi! Current VA - OC disease resident feel free to DM me if you have any questions

Reactions: 1 user