How much does it cost to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm starting to make my school list in my head and I was wondering how much money I should save up for my application cycle. I'm thinking of applying to about 15-17 schools (MD/PhD only). What should I expect to pay in application fees alone and what would be a reasonable cost range for flying to interviews assuming only Economy flights and cheap hotels?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told to set aside about $5,000 for the whole ordeal.
I'm not sure the apps cost the same as they used to but I've heard for primary apps it's $135 + (# schools * $35) = ~$700
Secondaries usually range from around $80-120. So you can expect to drop around $1,500-2000 for that
Interviews are (from what I hear) the most expensive, although I don't know if MD/PhD interviewees get better accommodations than MD. My friends tell me that if you go to a good number of interviews, you should expect to spend at least another couple thousand dollars. Flights probably depend on your location and destination. I'd imagine the biggest problem would be trying to find a cheap flight on short notice.
Bout to start hookin' the corner to pay for this ish. Not every applicant comes from a 3rd generation family of doctors >.>

Reactions: 3 users
On a per school basis:
~ $140 Primary+Secondary App fees ($2,000-$2,400 for 15-17 schools)
~$250-$500 air travel per interview (Total cost depends where you fly from/to, how many interviews you land)
~$120 for a cheap hotel+taxi per interview?

This is all for schools on the AMCAS. Assuming you apply to your state schools (looks like you're from Texas) application fees will be much cheaper since lots of Texas schools don't have secondaries and you can apply to all of them for a low price through the TMDSAS, and if you drive within Texas travel will be significantly cheaper. If you opt to have a student host during your interviews you can cut down on lodging prices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took out a $5000 Stafford. I applied to 24 schools and filled out all but 1 secondary and it cost me $2975. So I would assume about $2k for you in apps. Then a lot of it depends on if you can drive to some interviews or not. I went on 11 interviews. I flew to 6 of them.

Reactions: 1 user
On a per school basis:
~ $140 Primary+Secondary App fees ($2,000-$2,400 for 15-17 schools)
~$250-$500 air travel per interview (Total cost depends where you fly from/to, how many interviews you land)
~$120 for a cheap hotel+taxi per interview?

This is all for schools on the AMCAS. Assuming you apply to your state schools (looks like you're from Texas) application fees will be much cheaper since lots of Texas schools don't have secondaries and you can apply to all of them for a low price through the TMDSAS, and if you drive within Texas travel will be significantly cheaper. If you opt to have a student host during your interviews you can cut down on lodging prices.

MD/PhD apps are all on AMCAS so I won't be filling out the TMDSAS app. Thankfully, I can drive to about 5 of the schools I plan on applying to (in Texas) so that should cut some costs.

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. It looks like I'm going to need around 3-4k saved up by next summer.

Definitely save up a few thousand simply for primary/secondaries. I agree with the 3-4K assessment.

If you're applying MD/PhD programs will fly you out and pay for a hotel if they don't offer student hosts the night before your interview. So you only have to pay the primary and secondary application fees. I think AMCAS has a base fee of $160 + $35 per school you apply to. And secondaries average around $100 per school. So 15 schools will cost about $2,150

save up as much as you can, because once the app cycle is done, you gotta pay for med school

If you're applying MD/PhD programs will fly you out and pay for a hotel if they don't offer student hosts the night before your interview. So you only have to pay the primary and secondary application fees. I think AMCAS has a base fee of $160 + $35 per school you apply to. And secondaries average around $100 per school. So 15 schools will cost about $2,150

This it partially true. There are VERY FEW MD/PhD programs which will pay for your transportation- maybe look into which ones offer it. Most will give you accommodation- usually a hotel that you share with another applicant or a student host. They will also cover most of your food during interviews. Source: I applied MD/PhD.

This it partially true. There are VERY FEW MD/PhD programs which will pay for your transportation- maybe look into which ones offer it. Most will give you accommodation- usually a hotel that you share with another applicant or a student host. They will also cover most of your food during interviews. Source: I applied MD/PhD.

This was my understanding. I'm going to try to look up which ones do and don't so I have a good idea, did you feel that program websites reflected this usually?

This was my understanding. I'm going to try to look up which ones do and don't so I have a good idea, did you feel that program websites reflected this usually?

I actually didn't really look through the websites for this so I can't tell you. I believe that Washington University in St. Louis was one such school.

I spent about 900$, about 600$ on secondary.

Total primary 14, total secondaries completed 6, total invites 3, accepted the day of my first interview (instate school and first choice) - didn't go to any other interviews.