How much does it cost to go on an externship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it expensive to go on an externship? I figure with travel, hotel stay, and meals for 2-3 weeks that it could get very expensive. For those of you who did externships, how did you afford this? What did some of your externships "cost" you? Financial aid doesn't budget for externships to my knowledge, so did you have to save up money to be able to do this? Just trying to plan for the future. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Many oral surgery programs will give you free housing in a call room or with a resident. The residents in some places have meal plans that will allow them to pick-up a meal or two per day for you.

tx oms said:
Many oral surgery programs will give you free housing in a call room or with a resident. The residents in some places have meal plans that will allow them to pick-up a meal or two per day for you.
externships at some like LSU Sh are not cost prohibitive bc they let you stay in the call room and you can use the residents meal cards for 5 meals a day!( i gained 30 lbs at Shreve and Parkland) Some like Penn wont let you use the call room and no meal tickets... nothing! So you pay hotel/food! Some, like UAB, are in between with a free call room but you have to pay for your food... some residents will let you use their resident food discount of 25-50% off. I dont know how much i spent but if i were you i would go to places that let you feel comfortable and save $$ while there... LSU-sh, Parkland...

Members don't see this ad :)
Slash said:
Is it expensive to go on an externship? I figure with travel, hotel stay, and meals for 2-3 weeks that it could get very expensive. For those of you who did externships, how did you afford this? What did some of your externships "cost" you? Financial aid doesn't budget for externships to my knowledge, so did you have to save up money to be able to do this? Just trying to plan for the future. Thanks for any help.

I stayed at Charity Hospital for a month in the call room and ate most of the meals with the residents. The only money I spent was on booze, crawfish, and po'boys. But this was about 6 years ago.

Slash said:

Alabama and Vanderbilt will let you stay in their call rooms for free. I just had to pay for meals.

What do the call rooms look like? Do you typically get a bed? They have showers and all I'm assuming, right?

ems5184 said:
What do the call rooms look like? Do you typically get a bed? They have showers and all I'm assuming, right?

Like THIS

When you go on an externship, try to find family members and/or friends to stay with to save money. One month with LSU-NO, I was going to stay in the call room, but I decided not to and got a room in the dorms (which was 3 minutes walk to Charity - connected by skyway). The dorm cost me $450 for the month for everything (internet, cable, W/D, parking). With food, social expenses, dorm for a month, gas money (I drove), and etc, the month added up to be around $1200. During this externship, residents did pay for a lot of my meals & beverages outside of the hospital and allowed me to use their meal tickets when they have extras.

At Parkland, I had to cut my externship length short (4 weeks to only 2 weeks) due to financial hardship. I couldn't stay in the call room and I refuse to rent a hotel room for 4 weeks. Luckily, I found a relative who lived in the Dallas metro that I could crash with so I ended up commuting 40 minutes each way everyday to get to and from the hospital. I did this for two weeks and it was pain in the @ss. My relative loaned me a car to drive during the two weeks that I was there. The last two weeks (week 3 & 4), I could've stayed at a resident's house because he's just that nice ;) , but I decided to cut my externship length short because my summer financial aid refund had not dispurse yet and I completely ran out of money literately! Most money spent here were food and gas and hotel for the first couple of days ($80/night)! Parking was not a problem because one of the resident gave me his parking card to use for two weeks so I could park for free. Super cool dudes here, they were setting me up left and right!

In Chicago, I stayed with a friend of mine so the room expenses were knocked out. Again, transportation expenses were an issue here. I end up riding the "L" (subway) everyday and sometime a taxi. Food was free at the hospital because of the nice residents, but partying expenses add up because it was Chicago! I was here for 3 weeks. Most expenses here were spent on social expenses.

Bottom line, externship expenses can break down to:

1) food: this expense you will have to fork out, some externships will allow residents to provide you meals, but don't expect it. Definitely budget money for food

2) transportation: if you drive to an externship, then that could save you money or it can cost you more money. Most "great" externships are located in a major city so parking can be an issue. The obvious, gas alone now will cost you an arm and a leg, so I don't recommend driving to any externships.

3) a place to stay: this is a big one, if you don't have relatives or friends or a call room to crash at, then this will be your most expensive cost for an externship. If you do have a free place to crash, then you'll save a crap load of money.

4) social expenses: this can cost you a lot, but it's completely up to you.

My recommendation is to have at least $600 laying around to spend on any given externship. The longer you participate in an externship, the more it will cost.

Call rooms:
LSU-NO (Charity): large (6 beds), old, no TV or internet, nasty at first glance, but it grows on you. The shower in the bathroom is absolutely disgusting (it's no longer there, so...)

Parkland: small (1 bunkbeds), TV, other entertainment, bathroom decent

Cook County: no call room for OMFS, residents on-call sleeps in the resident's office in the outpatient dental wing

Minnesota (Hennepin County Medical Center): new, nice, small (1 bed), no TV, no internet, bathroom decent, no shower

NSU (Broward Medical Center): call room new, nice, small (2 beds), TV, internet, refrigerator, microwave, paintings, book shelves, bathroom clean, no showers

Dude, try priceline for the hotel issue. When i went to parkland a few years back i pricelined a pretty nice hotel in las colinas for like 20 bucks a night. It can be done if you can handle driving like 20min there and back to work every day. Just take out more loan money. Whats the big deal, this country is sustaining itself on loan money. Then call that ditech guy and he will hook you up.

I second the Priceline.com notion. If you are flexibile with your travel dates, you can save a ton on airfare as well. I just hooked up some tickets to Memphis that were running $430-550, for only $275 round trip.

toofache32 said:
Best avatar ever Yah-E!

Coming from the "Avatar King" himself, I'll take that as an accomplishment! :thumbup: :D

Yah-E said:
When you go on an externship, try to find family members and/or friends to stay with to save money. One month with LSU-NO, I was going to stay in the call room, but I decided not to and got a room in the dorms (which was 3 minutes walk to Charity - connected by skyway). The dorm cost me $450 for the month for everything (internet, cable, W/D, parking). With food, social expenses, dorm for a month, gas money (I drove), and etc, the month added up to be around $1200. During this externship, residents did pay for a lot of my meals & beverages outside of the hospital and allowed me to use their meal tickets when they have extras.

At Parkland, I had to cut my externship length short (4 weeks to only 2 weeks) due to financial hardship. I couldn't stay in the call room and I refuse to rent a hotel room for 4 weeks. Luckily, I found a relative who lived in the Dallas metro that I could crash with so I ended up commuting 40 minutes each way everyday to get to and from the hospital. I did this for two weeks and it was pain in the @ss. My relative loaned me a car to drive during the two weeks that I was there. The last two weeks (week 3 & 4), I could've stayed at a resident's house because he's just that nice ;) , but I decided to cut my externship length short because my summer financial aid refund had not dispurse yet and I completely ran out of money literately! Most money spent here were food and gas and hotel for the first couple of days ($80/night)! Parking was not a problem because one of the resident gave me his parking card to use for two weeks so I could park for free. Super cool dudes here, they were setting me up left and right!

In Chicago, I stayed with a friend of mine so the room expenses were knocked out. Again, transportation expenses were an issue here. I end up riding the "L" (subway) everyday and sometime a taxi. Food was free at the hospital because of the nice residents, but partying expenses add up because it was Chicago! I was here for 3 weeks. Most expenses here were spent on social expenses.

Bottom line, externship expenses can break down to:

1) food: this expense you will have to fork out, some externships will allow residents to provide you meals, but don't expect it. Definitely budget money for food

2) transportation: if you drive to an externship, then that could save you money or it can cost you more money. Most "great" externships are located in a major city so parking can be an issue. The obvious, gas alone now will cost you an arm and a leg, so I don't recommend driving to any externships.

3) a place to stay: this is a big one, if you don't have relatives or friends or a call room to crash at, then this will be your most expensive cost for an externship. If you do have a free place to crash, then you'll save a crap load of money.

4) social expenses: this can cost you a lot, but it's completely up to you.

My recommendation is to have at least $600 laying around to spend on any given externship. The longer you participate in an externship, the more it will cost.

Call rooms:
LSU-NO (Charity): large (6 beds), old, no TV or internet, nasty at first glance, but it grows on you. The shower in the bathroom is absolutely disgusting (it's no longer there, so...)

Parkland: small (1 bunkbeds), TV, other entertainment, bathroom decent

Cook County: no call room for OMFS, residents on-call sleeps in the resident's office in the outpatient dental wing

Minnesota (Hennepin County Medical Center): new, nice, small (1 bed), no TV, no internet, bathroom decent, no shower

NSU (Broward Medical Center): call room new, nice, small (2 beds), TV, internet, refrigerator, microwave, paintings, book shelves, bathroom clean, no showers

Remind me to warn any of your future partners not to let you make any of the financial moves for the practice....as I read this I get this strange feeling that Yahe is going to have one of the highest overheads in the country for an OMFS, he knows how to enjoy himself no doubt, but doing some cost analysis isn't his strong point... :) :)