How much does knowing a prof in the med school really help in admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dirkdiggler

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does it have any pull to get a interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I just asked this question a few days ago, try Searching a bit before you repeat a recent post. The general consensus was"can't hurt, might help, but probably won't help any more than any other established physician writing for you".

My honors advisor is professor of human genetics at my university's medical school. When I asked him for a recommendation letter, he told me he would need to see my mcat scores first. Turns out he had a student in his lab who he wrote a letter for the previous year. The professor could not get him in even though the guy had a 27 MCAT and a 3.4 GPA. If you can get a letter from someone in the school, it will probably be as good as (or maybe a tad bit better than) a letter from an undergrad professor. But don't, by any means, expect it to work wonders.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, if you know someone on the adcom (and you know them outside of the application process, like as a professor or an advisor), and they like you, you are definitely ahead of the game. But unless they are an adcom, my opinion above does not change.