Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How much does knowing a prof in the med school really help in admissions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dirkdiggler, Jul 17, 2001.

1. dirkdiggler

dirkdiggler Member
    7+ Year Member

does it have any pull to get a interview?

2. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just asked this question a few days ago, try Searching a bit before you repeat a recent post. The general consensus was"can't hurt, might help, but probably won't help any more than any other established physician writing for you".

3. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My honors advisor is professor of human genetics at my university's medical school. When I asked him for a recommendation letter, he told me he would need to see my mcat scores first. Turns out he had a student in his lab who he wrote a letter for the previous year. The professor could not get him in even though the guy had a 27 MCAT and a 3.4 GPA. If you can get a letter from someone in the school, it will probably be as good as (or maybe a tad bit better than) a letter from an undergrad professor. But don't, by any means, expect it to work wonders.

4. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It depends if they're on the ADCOM, and how much they like you.

5. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agreed, if you know someone on the adcom (and you know them outside of the application process, like as a professor or an advisor), and they like you, you are definitely ahead of the game. But unless they are an adcom, my opinion above does not change.