How much does major matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rschaef1

Reaction score
Hey,
So I'm a sophomore Electrical engineering Premed major at Notre Dame, and right now my gpa is looking like it'll be close to 3.65 by the end of the semester, although I'll probably be able to bring that up to around 3.75 by the time I apply to med school. My EE classes are hard, but orgo is harder and I've just accepted that I will probably get a B/B+ in orgo II, as I just cannot devote enough time to it while still getting good grades in my EE classes. Will my major slightly offset a lower GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Major does not matter neither does minor. Of course if you have a major legal problem with minors then none of this will matter

HAHHAHAHAHAHA

Reactions: 2 users
Majored in Anthropology & Sociology. Took my pre-reqs at another university after graduating. While it will take me extra time to get out into the field as a practicing physician, I feel that studying those areas allowed me experiences that I would not have had majoring in chemistry/biology.

My advice, major in a foreign language that you are interested in. And kick the a** of each and every one of your pre-reqs.

Reactions: 1 users
Major doesn't matter (Chemical engineering major here)...and I would say 99% of med schools don't take that you are majoring in a "harder" major into account when looking at your GPA.

Major doesn't matter (Chemical engineering major here)...and I would say 99% of med schools don't take that you are majoring in a "harder" major into account when looking at your GPA.

Bingo. I majored in math and they do not take that into account when looking at gpa. Don’t major in something hard unless you’re okay with having to work a lot harder than people who did an easy major and also potentially having to compete with 4.0s who got to party all through college.

Reactions: 1 user
I would disagree to some extent. In general I agree that it is meaningless, but at least in the admissions committee I worked on, the rigor of the major had a very minimal but nevertheless present impact on how your application was viewed. If two applicants are being compared, both with an identical GPA, while one majored in underwater basket weaving and another majored in a STEM area, the latter would likely be viewed more favorably.

Again, the impact of this was essentially zero, but it was discussed. Pragmatically speaking, your major doesn't "matter," though I would say if you major in something that isn't science related, your pre-med courses become a lot more important in terms of gauging if you can handle the medical school curriculum.

Reactions: 4 users
To add to the point others have made, again this is entirely anecdotal so your mileage may vary, I majored in Biomedical Engineering and while I still had a competitive GPA, it did get brought up in all of my interviews so far (been accepted to both schools that offer acceptances at this point).

So your major may not play a role when they’re screening your GPA, but interviewers definitely take note. Again I don’t know how big of a role this plays, but from my experience they were impressed to see my GPA in an engineering major with all the other prerequisites.

Do I think it’s worth it to take a “harder” major? Honestly, no. Find something you enjoy, get good grades and move on. If you enjoy engineering, awesome, but make sure you’re getting good grades.

Yeah your major doesn’t matter until it does. I was a bio major and I can’t tell you how much my upper level bio/chem courses helped put some things into perspective for me in Med school. My lack of taking anatomy definitely made that course harder in Med school but doable nonetheless. Just be aware of how much science and medicine will be drilled into your math minded brain.

Yeah your major doesn’t matter until it does. I was a bio major and I can’t tell you how much my upper level bio/chem courses helped put some things into perspective for me in Med school. My lack of taking anatomy definitely made that course harder in Med school but doable nonetheless. Just be aware of how much science and medicine will be drilled into your math minded brain.

I agree. Sure one can major in finance and only take the premed prerequisites but they’d be missing many upper division courses that would not only help with a solid foundation but would instill good study skills upon the student as well. Additionally, the applicants sGPA would ony be contingent upon Orgo, Gen chem, Bio, Physics and Stats...

Sure it doesn’t matter. But in my opinion, it’d be better to major in something science related. Hey, to each their own tho.

Heck, they let me in with a nursing degree.

I always tell people who ask to pursue a degree that works as a fallback plan (hard to repay loans with a BA in Bio).

I think electrical engineering at Notre Dame oughta’ work in a pinch. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Major (and minors) don’t really matter GPA-wise. Schools aren’t going to give you a pass for a modest GPA in a “harder” major. That said, adcoms are only human, and there could be times that they’re more impressed with a 3.8 cum/science GPA in Eng’g, Math, Chem, The Classics or French, than they would with a 3.8 in Communications or Public Relations.

Bingo. I majored in math and they do not take that into account when looking at gpa. Don’t major in something hard unless you’re okay with having to work a lot harder than people who did an easy major and also potentially having to compete with 4.0s who got to party all through college.
Anthropology majors only go to parties for ethnographic observation

"The study revealed that undergraduate major does not serve as a statistically significant predictor of admission to medical school over and above applicants’ demographic characteristics, MCAT scores, and undergraduate grade point average. Applicants who chose a Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Mathematics (BCPM) major did not have a greater chance of being admitted to medical school than an applicant who chose a non-BCPM major. These findings are consistent with previous studies that sought to predict variables that contribute to medical school admission."

Does Major Matter? An Examination of Undergraduate Major and Medical School Admission - ProQuest

I will give my 2 cents. It DOES matter but not may like what people usually think, this is what I mean:

"If both people have identical resumes, word by word, then one will be more favorable than others". But most of the time that case does not happen, everyone has their own background and extracurriculars. So if you think the advantage in the sense that on paper, or screening, yep there would be a minimal advantage to none.

However, there are hidden advantages that people don't talk about. Human loves things that are guaranteed, but since these advantages are not guaranteed even if you major in hard subjects, it's not openly discussed. Majoring in STEM may open many hidden doors:
i) Our academic system is built around scholarly work, which is presentation and publication. That's where the term "publish or perish" comes from. Just some statistics, I think at least 90% of pubs from undergrad are from science majors, if not a lot more.
ii) The opportunities, not just normal but outstanding opportunities, are surrounded science majors, and even more for engineering. Through what? Funding. Million of dollars by private org and government are invested in those programs) (e.g. postbacc program at NIH mostly are science majors, trips going to Africa to build solar cells for villages requires knowledge in engineering, etc). I have seen hundreds of REU email for research/internship opportunity for all science majors publicly advertised but I never see any opportunity for non-science majors. I am sure there are some out there, but they are a lot harder to find, much less instructions, and definitely at a lower impact. Harvard/MIT/UPenn/etc science summer program exceed 3 digits number, but much less for non-science. All come down to funding
iii) Most of the professors that have a high impact on science, you guess, are science professors. Besides research, the name of the professor, assuming your LOR is equally strong, is viewed more favorably, especially if they are well-known. So, you are more likely (not guaranteed) to have a chance to work under those and get a super strong LOR. Moreover, especially when you aim for more premed prestigious awards (Barry Goldwater, Knight Hennesy, Truman, etc, that advantage is even clearer
iv) Connections of those science professors. Medicine is a science major after all, and people know people. They have friends in the med schools that you could potentially apply to. Connections do not mean that when adcom see his/her old friend as your advisor and talk good about you he will accept you, but rather assuming your application is relatively equal to another applicant, which happens more frequently than you may think especially at top med school where everyone is a superstar, he/she may be subconsciously favoring you. Many people know about this but not anyone openly talks about, because publicly admitting this does no good for them. For instance, my main advisor in biochem at UC Berkeley, when I applied for a prestigious biochem internship program at Stanford, his LOR carries a lot of weight. So his LOR may not directly help me get accepted into any med school but it gives me an outstanding EC, which one leads to another and all play an important role in helping me get into med school eventually.
v) Prepare a lot better for MCAT and medical school, even though you don't need to be STEM major to get a high score but you have to admit that a larger percentage of students who achieve higher scores are from these majors.
vi) Your career track is advanced much faster if you decide to stay in academic medicine. All labs in medical schools are science-related, missing 4 years of research experience is a big disadvantage. Could you catch up? You sure could, but you would have to work much harder, but even then if others are also working hard, falling behind in 4 years will make you forever behind. Getting a tenure position is extremely competitive.
vii) This one is a little bit stretched but since I major in biomedical engineering, I can give a small but unique advantage of this major that I occasionally observe. Usually, the "outcome" of bioengineering research are products (e.g. medical devices) with high applications, which make them very easy for fancy marketing. For example, a college team develop a COVID-19 respiratory machine for multiple recipients based on only simple physics and engineering concepts but got on national highlights and won many prestigious awards. Assuming you put the SAME amount of effort into basic science (chemistry, physics, etc), it's almost impossible to achieve the same effect of a breakthrough like bioengineering, the most you would have is a publication. It is more impressive and the story is more fascinating as well. You tell me which EC is more interesting to you if you are a adcom:
- I conduct research in CRISPR Cas9 in genome editing on mice and we make a breakthrough to show the advent of facile genome engineering using the bacterial RNA-guided CRISPR-Cas9 system in animals and plants is transforming biology
- I develop a biosensor to measure physiological signals in the lab, then apply for IRB approval at my university so I can use that technology and test on 300 patients in Uganda, it's an international collaboration between 2 countries and we are currently applying for our patent. Then we utilize machine learning with the hope to detect multiple hidden respiratory diseases at once using a low-cost device implemented in sub-Saharan countries to increase accessibility to care.
As you can see, for the first case, every field of science is very specific, if you don't do research in that field it's hard to understand what it even means, even if that bench lab person spend triple the amount of time to do Western plot and clean petri dishes (the first example is published in Science and get cited 4000 times). While the first case requires dozen of PhD to accomplish, the second bioengineering example all it takes are a couple of undergrads + a sprinkle of initiatives.

First, none of the things above is absolute, there are always outliers who study history will get 528 mcat and 5 publications. Second, I want to emphasize that majoring in science/engineering MAY, not guaranteed, increase your likelihood of success and stand out, with the cost of a harder major which makes you spend more time studying, it's like a two-edged sword. (e.g. like you major in STEM but that doesn't mean you will guarantee to get a publication, or having a chance to participate in a cool STEM project. Third, these reasons may seem far unrelated to med school admission, but these small things are the changing game factors to distinguish you from thousands of applicants that sound the same

Last edited:
The man himself said it all. The advantages I detailed only hold true assuming that, and it's a BIG assumption, you excel in all other aspects.

P/s: LOR is surely a little bit stretched compared to other reasons, but I do have this hypothesis even though does sound crazy and over the top. Besides of course national public presence (e.g. Noble laureate, NIH Director, etc), and this assumes your LOR must be equally strong, the title of the LOR writer does matter. Similar to a letter written by an Assistant Prof is more valuable than a post-doc/TA, the letter written by Full Professor, or even Distinguished Prof or name-Professor (e.g. Norman E. Shumway - Joseph Woo) is "more" valuable than Assistant Prof. I think this happens rarely in the past, but imagine if all 5 of your LOR are written by Distinguished/Full Prof, all the academic extracurricular you mention in your 15 activities most of them are from people with high titles (For example: in cardiac surgery could be MD, FACS, FACC), this may create some special effect. You can explain it dues to stigma, credentials, or whatever, it's like the school brand name. People don't outrightly say it but in the back of their head like Stanford is better than a public school, so is a Full Prof hold "more" weight than an instructor.

How is this related to what major you should choose? Most of the Prof in the top of their field with these titles are from science majors. I have seen couple of hundreds of folks in science with the title like that but very few in non-science. It could also be due to the rewarding system, in non-science, maybe there is no such thing or not well-known. But regardless what the reason it is, science major are better recognizable in the academic world. For example, in cardiac surgery, the most prestigious society is AATS and very selective for physicians to be admitted as members, so it's quite recognizable since new members must be endorsed by old members. If you are lucky, your letter evaluator is from the cardiac surgery department and top med school, he/she is quite likely also be in AATS or heard of it. The world is smaller than you think.
==> If you major in science, you have a much better chance to work with those folks and be recognized. But if you major in humanities and social science, despite how famous your advisor is, for sure no one in med school adcom will recognize them. Besides member of a prestigious society, it may also be the Editor of a high-impact clinical journal, etc)

Again, I want to emphasize that there is nothing guaranteed, similar to the major thing, some adcom may think "Wow this kid got praised by xxx, he/she must be better than their peers" but many others just don't give a ****. Sounds crazy and too much work for just a little bit of advantage? It sure is. But when, and only when, your whole applicant is equally strong with other applicants, those advantages are much clearer, otherwise it means nothing.

Oh well, this is just my thought and I'm sure it only applies to a very very small groups, maybe even less than the top 5% percentile. At that level, every possible way to help you stand out (school brand name, major, LOR writer, etc) could be the changing game factor. But be the top 5% percentile first I guess