How much does Step 1 score matter in Psych apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salt Salt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure this is the right forum but here goes. I'm an M3 trying to plan out the next 3 months and I'm curious to know what role a Step 1 score plays in residency apps for psychiatry specifically. The director of our psychiatry clerkship has asserted that our hospital's psych program doesn't even look at scores, assuming you pass, and that most other programs don't either; other, younger psychiatrists I know have suggested that it's probably the most important part of one's application (the same as in other specialties).

I'm asking because I'm trying to organize my priorities for the next three months. (Is three months away too early to start studying anyways?)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1 is not everything, but it does play a huge role; dont skimp on this one. Do the best you can

Clerkship directors don't always have the best information about the post graduate selection process. Step II is probably more important by a little bit, but step I is the only other objective standardized comparator that is the same across all medical schools. That makes it important.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is definitely important, especially for the more competitive psych programs. That being said, you are not applying to dermatology, orthopedics, etc. Aim for the national average or above and you will be in great shape.

Clerkship directors don't always have the best information about the post graduate selection process. Step II is probably more important by a little bit, but step I is the only other objective standardized comparator that is the same across all medical schools. That makes it important.
In addition, many applicants don't have a Step 2 score available early in the process, making it often the only objective comparator when we're extending interviews.

Whoa whoa whoa, step 2 is more important than step 1? Can that really be true?

Last edited:
Step one is more imprudent because it is full of stuff that doesn't come up very often in clinical practice. Step two is more important because it is more clinically oriented.

Ah, I see. I looked at the NRMP program director's survey before & thought I read Step 1 was more important. Looking at it again, they seem to be about worth the same, with maybe Step 2 scores being more important than Step 1 for rankings.

Just to piggy back off this thread, do preclinical grades come into play at all? Ex. If someone goes to a school with a grade ranking and they get a C vs. B vs. A in their grades? Also how about class rank? Thank You.

Just to piggy back off this thread, do preclinical grades come into play at all? Ex. If someone goes to a school with a grade ranking and they get a C vs. B vs. A in their grades? Also how about class rank? Thank You.
No - with the exception of how tat factors into AOA which is only relevant to a tiny number of psych applicants. No one is looking at your preclinical performance