How much does step 2 ck matter for fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nirvana previa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello- I've seen this question from 2006, but none recently. How much does step 2 ck score matter (after matching into internal medicine) to eventually match into fellowships (what about for the competitive specialties eg. cards, GI?)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello- I've seen this question from 2006, but none recently. How much does step 2 ck score matter (after matching into internal medicine) to eventually match into fellowships (what about for the competitive specialties eg. cards, GI?)

A lot, unfortunately. GI in particular screens out based on step scores. Although some posters here exaggerate, those scores really do carry with you for the rest of your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
currently on the interview trail for PCCM, the interviewers have focused more on what research I've done and where I went to school (AMG vs IMG vs FMG) and making sure I was a normal individual.

However, they have all made a big point of the USMLE scores (I scored very well on all 3) and openly admitted that it matters because it reflects how hard one worked as a medical student. But, it seems to be secondary to the other aspects (research, residency, letters)

It would seem to be a screen for competitive applicants and then something extra.
The appetizer and the cherry on top but not the main course, if you will.

Unfortunately, there's no objective metric for a "good resident". They have to fall back on less subjective measures to filter out the bulk of the applications they get. And that's where USMLE scores and visas come into place.

Now if you're a stellar resident with top-notch LORs from a top IM program with lots of published research ...etc they might look over a slightly below-average USMLE score (assuming the rest are excellent scores and not just average). But if you completely bombed your test with a near-failure score or have an attempt, you probably won't get any love from the top places. Just to be realistic.