How much does residency matter for employment (hospitalist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExplodingUlcers

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current MS4. I'm constructing my rank list and on the one hand, I'd like to start making a decent living as a resident by going to a low COL area with a decently high base pay and moonlighting as opposed to the more prestigious programs in the high COL areas. With that said, does it even matter where I do residency in the grand scheme of things if my intention is to pursue general hospitalist medicine and practice in California, Texas and/or Florida?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Current MS4. I'm constructing my rank list and on the one hand, I'd like to start making a decent living as a resident by going to a low COL area with a decently high base pay and moonlighting as opposed to the more prestigious programs in the high COL areas (LA/SF/SD). With that said, does it even matter where I do residency in the grand scheme of things if my intention is to pursue general hospitalist medicine and practice in California, Texas and/or Florida?
IMO, not that much. I would recommend going to a decent mid tier academic IM residency for quality of training, but beyond that, I don’t think anyone really cares. Even graduates of good community IM programs get decent hospitalist jobs.

It could matter a lot if your plans change and you decide to do academics or pursue a competitive fellowship. I always recommend going to the best residency program you can get into.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I always recommend training in the area you want to end up living if you know that up front (assuming they are relatively equivalent like both academic programs).

Sure, you CAN find the good jobs training wherever, but having that network of local grads / connections can be invaluable in knowing which ones are good and which ones are a trap IMO let alone getting your foot in the door.

Reactions: 2 users
the only people that care are academic ivory tower types. for a hospitalist job, they are looking for a warm body without too many red flags.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It could matter a lot if your plans change and you decide to do academics or pursue a competitive fellowship. I always recommend going to the best residency program you can get into.
Excellent advice.

Current MS4. I'm constructing my rank list and on the one hand, I'd like to start making a decent living as a resident by going to a low COL area with a decently high base pay and moonlighting as opposed to the more prestigious programs in the high COL areas. With that said, does it even matter where I do residency in the grand scheme of things if my intention is to pursue general hospitalist medicine and practice in California, Texas and/or Florida?
This is exactly what I’m trying to do with my potential application list. Potential List of Residencies

Agree 100%. Most hospitalist jobs won't care where you did residency (although I suspect big-name places might) but best to leave all doors open. The amount of money you can save in residency, when compared to what you'll make over you career, is trivial. Don't nickel and dime yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
IMO, not that much. I would recommend going to a decent mid tier academic IM residency for quality of training, but beyond that, I don’t think anyone really cares. Even graduates of good community IM programs get decent hospitalist jobs.
"Even Graduate of good community IM programs get decent hospitalist jobs." MGH IM resident grad and "good community IM resident grad" make the same amount of money, do the same work within the same system (not all hospital systems function the same). Hell, where I am, the community program grads outshine the new academic grads in the system I work in, mainly because there is too much "hand holding" in the academic program near by. The answer to the OPs questions is, no it doesn't matter, as long as you are able to do the job and even better if you are board certified. Choose a program that you think you will enjoy being at for 3 years of your life. If it feels malignant, it probably is.