How much does Step 3 matter for Radiology fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elixir86

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title of this thread says it all. Is it enough to just pass? I'm sure I'll get the obvious, "the better you do, the more options you open up," etc. But in general, if you are considering a fellowship after residency, how much is Step 3 a part of the overall picture of you as a candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

The title of this thread says it all. Is it enough to just pass? I'm sure I'll get the obvious, "the better you do, the more options you open up," etc. But in general, if you are considering a fellowship after residency, how much is Step 3 a part of the overall picture of you as a candidate?

Nothing and I mean zero.

Most fellowship program directors even don't know what is a good score and what is bad. And they don't care at all.

Fellowship is all about connections. If you want to stay in your home program, you can in 98% of the cases. If you want to go somewhere else, the single most important factor is having an attending who knows somebody in your desirable fellowship. Other factors are reputation of residency program, good LORs and to some extent research.

Fellowship is like job hunting. Most big academic center are heavily dependent on fellows to run their department. People may look great on paper, but departments want to have somebody who can get the job done fast and precise, though they may not openly admit that. If a well known faculty member highly recommends you, you are all set.

Does this advice still apply? (One whole year later ;))