How much does this suck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was using the AACOMAS calculator (the one on SDN) predicting what my GPA will be when the next cycle opens. After entering everything, it looked like this:

cGPA: 3.38
sGPA: 2.99

I struggled with a couple classes in my first few semesters, which really hurt my GPA. However, my junior year GPA will wind up being a 3.69, which is strong considering the higher level classes I am now taking.

Will the 2.99 sGPA mean I am filtered out at the schools that require a 3.00? Which schools exactly require the 3.0 min sGPA? I know VCOM is one and I really wanted to apply there.. :(

Members don't see this ad.

So, I was using the AACOMAS calculator (the one on SDN) predicting what my GPA will be when the next cycle opens. After entering everything, it looked like this:

I struggled with a couple classes in my first few semesters, which really hurt my GPA. However, my junior year GPA will wind up being a 3.69, which is strong considering the higher level classes I am now taking.

Will the 2.99 sGPA mean I am filtered out at the schools that require a 3.00? Which schools exactly require the 3.0 min sGPA? I know VCOM is one and I really wanted to apply there.. :(

Certainly trends are important, and a trend up will work in your favor. However, if you aren't dead-set on applying next cycle, work towards repairing your science GPA by taking, and doing well, on more advanced science classes and by redoing ones that you performed poorly. Even if you graduate, you do this via informal post-bacc work. AACOMAS allows grade replacement in the calculation of your GPA, which means that if you retake and score higher in classes where you did not perform well, it will take the higher retake in the calculation of your GPA.

I'm of the mindset that when you apply, you should apply with the most optimal set of qualifications possible, so that you have the best shot. There's no hurry. Do it right. No one wants to apply more than once, because the process is time-consuming and resource intensive. Fix what you can and prove that you are academically sound to handle the rigors of a medical program. That's my suggestion.

I agree with spiced. One or two retakes or just one or two new classes should get you over the 3.0 line.

Members don't see this ad :)
just take 1 or 2 very easy basic science courses!

Retakes for sure. Especially in classes with less than a 3.0 or B-

Applying with a 3.00 might get you past the absolute minimums but it doesnt mean acceptance, interview or even your application getting looked at.

I was in the same boat. A couple retakes and you should be good:thumbup:

Unfortunately, I don't think retakes are really an option for me. I am on semesters and have a solid set of classes next fall that I have to take to graduate. However, most of them are science classes, which helps. I take the MCAT at the end of the month and hope to apply when the cycle opens, which I am hoping helps also. I know I will be an underdog, but I have top of the line EC's, shadowing, and volunteering. I was hoping with a decent MCAT that some schools that have a 3.00 min sGPA requirement will look past my 2.99, mostly from when college started. Frustrating!

Unfortunately, I don't think retakes are really an option for me. I am on semesters and have a solid set of classes next fall that I have to take to graduate. However, most of them are science classes, which helps. I take the MCAT at the end of the month and hope to apply when the cycle opens, which I am hoping helps also. I know I will be an underdog, but I have top of the line EC's, shadowing, and volunteering. I was hoping with a decent MCAT that some schools that have a 3.00 min sGPA requirement will look past my 2.99, mostly from when college started. Frustrating!

Well, your cumulative GPA sounds fine. If any of your upcoming courses aren't science, I would definitely consider sacrificing a bit of cpga to boost your sgpa. So get a B on hippiefeelgoodcollegeBS 101 and an A on one of your science retakes.

Retakes really would be great, but they just aren't an option right now considering I will be applying June 1st. I will be able to get it up next year if I decide to reapply. I guess I was just asking if you guys think that schools like VCOM will reject me pre-secondary for not meeting their minimum sGPA requirement being .01 point off, or if they will round up. I'm assuming they won't.

Retakes really would be great, but they just aren't an option right now considering I will be applying June 1st. I will be able to get it up next year if I decide to reapply. I guess I was just asking if you guys think that schools like VCOM will reject me pre-secondary for not meeting their minimum sGPA requirement being .01 point off, or if they will round up. I'm assuming they won't.

My question is why apply now when you know your application is not in the most optimal state? There's really no hurry. You can remedy your situation with just a semester or two of persistent effort. You can still graduate and do the work as a post-bacc student. If I were you, I'd hold off on applying and fix your situation. However, I am not you, and I don't know your motivations...

Can you take a class during the first half of the Summer before your AACOMAS is in? You could do that at a community college or anywhere. I think most offer 6 or 8 week classes starting right at the end of Spring semester.

I had a 2.99 cGPA...I think i was only filtered our of Touro-NY.

Any 1 credit science courses available? Usually you either just need to show up for an hour a week or write a paper at the end of the term to earn an easy "A" in these things.

DMU requires a 3.0, so does Touro NV...

Any 1 credit science courses available? Usually you either just need to show up for an hour a week or write a paper at the end of the term to earn an easy "A" in these things.

That's a good idea. I might look into that. I'm not sure there are many 1 or 2 credit hour science classes available though...

every school east of the Mississippi...I also had a 3.75 sciGPA (4.0 postbacc)...and abysmal MCAT.

DMU requires a 3.0, so does Touro NV...

It looks like MedicineMike made it through with a 2.99 cGPA, so maybe they bump up the 2.99 to a 3.0? DMU is someplace I was looking to apply to as well. Hmm...