How much does UG prestige really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligirl789

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you tell me to use the search function, let me explain my situation. I go to a mid-tier UC and was accepted to transfer to UCLA. My GPA is above 3.5, but its not super high. So if I go to UCLA and don't do that well (i've been hearing how cutthroat pre-med and the chem major is there) it can definitely dip below 3.5. I've looked at the other threads and some people say undergrad prestige doesn't matter while others say it is important. So, my question is, is prestige important enough for me to transfer to UCLA and risk dropping my GPA? Or should I stay at my current school where I know I can pretty much get all A's and am doing research with a well-respected MD in the med school? I know adcoms consider undergrad at some point, but how much weight do they really give it?

Members don't see this ad.

Before you tell me to use the search function, let me explain my situation. I go to a mid-tier UC and was accepted to transfer to UCLA. My GPA is above 3.5, but its not super high. So if I go to UCLA and don't do that well (i've been hearing how cutthroat pre-med and the chem major is there) it can definitely dip below 3.5. I've looked at the other threads and some people say undergrad prestige doesn't matter while others say it is important. So, my question is, is prestige important enough for me to transfer to UCLA and risk dropping my GPA? Or should I stay at my current school where I know I can pretty much get all A's and am doing research with a well-respected MD in the med school? I know adcoms consider undergrad at some point, but how much weight do they really give it?

I don't know if this is really all that different than other threads, but regardless if the only reason you're transferring is for prestige you might want to reevaluate. I feel like I'm the only one with this viewpoint sometimes, but college isn't just about setting yourself up for med school - pick the place you want to be at, get involved in things you care about, and enjoy!

That being said, no, I can't see UCLA making up for a large dip in gpa.

Reactions: 1 user

Prestige only matters when you have strong stats and great ECs. In your case, it doesn't help if you're just going to let your GPA decrease.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You said a mid-tier UC -- Not a Cal State? Because my answer would differ...

I'll put it to you this way: the time you spend worrying about it would probably be better served to improving other aspects of your application. Regardless, what's there to do? Are you going to transfer if people say yes? It's not something you can (or, rather, should) change easily, so why worry?

Was in the same boat last year OP, in that I transferred from a very average state school in the southeast (NC State/Kentucky/South Carolina level) to a school in the SF Bay area that is well regarded. My GPA has dropped as well, from my c-3.99 the past 2 years, when I earned a 3.7 this past quarter. I wonder how adcoms look at gpa's of students that have transferred? I'd hate it to be the case, but I can see them somewhat ignoring the past two years work and focusing on the new GPA at the more prestigious institution.

I will say that I had research established at my prior school and I've had to start from scratch since I moved. It has taken me a quarter to find projects that seem worth pursuing...I'm applying this June so my experiences are rather fractured...it may not hurt me, but disjointed research experiences aren't as impressive as the publications I'd probably have pending if I'd have stayed. It's a weird spot to be in OP as it's not clear if our most recent grades are given more weight...something I've definitely stressed over since moving...it's not pleasant going from a 4.0 top of the class student to just being in the top 1/3rd

Prestige only matters when you have strong stats and great ECs. In your case, it doesn't help if you're just going to let your GPA decrease.

LOL love it

Stay where you are... you already have a good thing going and are researching in a lab where it sounds like you can get good results and perhaps a great letter of recommendation. Why transfer to a different school where you have to start building connections all over again? For the chance to decrease your GPA?

UCLA has a good reputation, but not good enough to overcome mucking up every other aspect of your application. Is prestige your only reason for transferring??? If so, this is a no-brainer. If there are other factors at work here, please enlighten me. But if it is convenient/possible for you to stay put, that's almost always the right thing to do.

If you were depressed or having personal issues at your current school, that would be a different story -- and likely a story that should include consulting health services. But it doesn't seem like that's the case.

The following are solely just my opinion.

Having said that,

1. Don't transfer to a prestigious university at the cost of your gpa

2. UCLA is not a prestigious university. Only the ivies + ivy comparables in the top 15 count as prestigious.

Reactions: 1 users
As others have said, prestige really only matters when you have an already strong application. As in, once you already have a strong GPA + MCAT score + ECs + research etc does prestige make any difference. IMHO UG prestige can definitely be important, but it is never the "limiting reagent" for a successful application.

I transferred from what people would consider a low tiered UC to UCLA. Honestly, the difference in difficulty is so over rated. If you can do well at your UC I'm sure you can do well at UCLA. That being said, you have a tough choice. I too had to establish brand new connections and get new ECs which proved much harder to get at UCLA. I do not regret transferring one bit but I did it for more personal reasons than just prestige. I am currently applying and so far the cycle has been kind to me despite a tiny drop in GPA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OP go to UCLA if you want to. As far as prestige is concerned I don't know if UCLA counts as "prestigious" in medical school related issues, I'm dubious it would help you more than success at your current UC.

People need to stop repeating this ridiculous bromide.

Ucla isn't prestigious ;) but I'm a Trojan so don't take me too seriously

But honestly , UCLA is a great flagship school ,and many kids dreamschool, however, it would not be considered "elite" . Those schools are exclusively probably the top 15+ Cornell

I don't want to sound harsh, but I think undergrad prestige only matters if you go to one of the ivies, Stanford, MIT or Caltech.

Not to threadjack but say you indeed transferred to a top 10 school and you went from an A (4.0) to an A-(3.7) student...Think you'll get lumped in with all the other 3.7 students at your current school? Or they'll view you as your overall 3.9 c-GPA?

If you go to a UC and do well, transferring to another UC won't really change anything. All the UC's are probably comparably hard as the other.