What is your reason for pursuing a career in Physical Therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT2024-2027

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of your 3 big reasons to pursue a career in Physical Therapy ?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought this career was a good financial move. I was wrong. Now I’m hoping my future partner is a rich doctor because I can’t afford a house with these loan payments and poor pay. I make 81K a year in Midwest for reference. Currently just renting an apartment; the houses that aren’t located in the hood are way too expensive for me

Reactions: 1 user
Do your think the income to debt ratio is extremely unfair ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do your think the income to debt ratio is extremely unfair ?
Heck yea. 100K+ in tuition to never see six figures as a staff PT? Das a joke right?

PA school would have been cheaper and they get paid way more than we can ever make. Hindsight is 20/20 tho. I was just a sucker to fall for the “this career is rewarding” mantra.

In reality all we do is churn out units to make our overlords happy while CMS continues to slash reimbursements. Adjusted for inflation, we actually make LESS than PT’s did in the 90s-2000s

In my opinion, Physiotherapy is different from other treatments. It is an anti-drug treatment that does not cause any side effects in patients. As a physiotherapist, we can improve their physical mobility and witness their progress. Alongside the excellent job opportunities for this career, I truly believe that there is nothing better than being able to make a good impact on a patient’s life to derive great satisfaction in work.
Job opportunities? Like being lowballed and offered 60-80K a year while people with bachelors in certain areas earn more? Lol yikes

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
What are some of your 3 big reasons to pursue a career in Physical Therapy ?
I decided to pursue physical therapy because the amount of different settings you can pick from, the amount of knowledge that you can apply to your own health and lifestyle, you can determine how much you make, you can start your own practice. The amount of opportunities are endless up be truthful.

When I was a kid, I had a severe pain in my back due to playing hockey then me and my parents suffered a lot to find a physical therapist who can cure me but we found someone after suffering a lot. This is the reason I perused this career and start providing physical therapy in lake forest so that the people can quickly get the life they love.

Hey, My prime reason for physiotherapy is my keen interest in serving people to have better health. In my opinion, Physiotherapy is different from other treatments. It is an anti-drug treatment that does not cause any side effects in patients. As a physiotherapist, we can improve their physical mobility and witness their progress. Alongside the excellent job opportunities for this career, I truly believe that there is nothing better than being able to make a good impact on a patient’s life to derive great satisfaction in work.
Thats true. I feel like witnessing their journey is a wonderful experience and I hope to experience that one day

I decided to pursue physical therapy because the amount of different settings you can pick from, the amount of knowledge that you can apply to your own health and lifestyle, you can determine how much you make, you can start your own practice. The amount of opportunities are endless up be truthful.
It is very versatile where you can choose a variety of population. What are some settings you had your clinicals or worked at ?

When I was a kid, I had a severe pain in my back due to playing hockey then me and my parents suffered a lot to find a physical therapist who can cure me but we found someone after suffering a lot. This is the reason I perused this career and start providing physical therapy in lake forest so that the people can quickly get the life they love.
That is a very interesting story !! Back pains are the worst pain. I heard a story about this one person who was a vitctim of a shark attack and her leg had to be amputated. She worked with a PT to restore function and now she became a physical therapist. It is so cool that physical therapy can make huge impacts in ones life

Many individuals are drawn to the field of Physical Therapy because they have a strong desire to help others improve their quality of life. Physical therapists work with patients to improve their mobility, reduce pain, and recover from injuries or illnesses, which can have a profound impact on their overall well-being.

I thanked my physical therapist who spent the past 3months helping me reverse 40 + years of work ( and bad habits) as an internal medicine physician. I had poor physical conditioning, posture. I was unable to walk with my wife more than 50 yards without pain. I am now mobile and comfortable walking 30+minutes. May not seem like much to you, but to myself and my wife, it was huge.

I am truly appreciative of the help they provided. I am sure many many others feel the same about the work you provide.

Physical therapists provide professional care for people who are recovering from injury or illness and help people maintain a healthy lifestyle. Physical therapists have a diverse range of duties, including conducting physical therapy assessments, providing physical therapy interventions, and performing physical therapy rehabilitation.

Right after graduating high school in 2017 I tried to pursue nursing, I became a CNA for about 5 years and worked in both a SNF and a hospital setting (MedSurg/ICU). Although I loved nursing and was a very good CNA, I eventually found that I couldn't see myself doing nursing for the rest of my life. During the last year of my undergrad, I had an internship at a PT clinic and I thoroughly enjoyed myself there. This got me to apply for a PT aide job. Ever since being an aide, I can say that I enjoy being at work, not only for my amazing coworkers but the patients I get are amazing. I'm a people person so I love really getting to know my patients so that there is never a dull moment at work. I love to joke around and have fun with my patients but also understand when to turn on that professional switch. It was very important to me to find a career that I enjoy so that I feel like I'm not working a day in my life. I found that with Physical Therapy.