How much does your teacher make?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaSalsa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi dear all

there have been lots of discussions regarding the salary of dentists out there, I was wondering how much do professors and teachers make at dental schools? I am not talking about those who teach part time, I am talking about full time professors. Does anyone know?

What is the best way to do a bit of teaching, research and to earn decent money?

:) thanks, any input is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

You know, I've always wondered this, and they always say "these doctors could be out in practice making much more, but they're here because they genuinely care about your education."

I'd speculate around 100K, but this is based on the salaries I've seen for undergrad professors with a PhD. Some of them with a M.D./PhD make around 200K/year. I'm sure there's plenty of room between the extremes, but that's a healthy chunk of change for commanding students around. :D

Actually I was just reading an article about this today. The numbers were from 99 and it said that the average salary for a full time professor was $103,100. For a full time associate professor it was $84,000 and for an assistant professor it was $67,550.

Members don't see this ad :)
Midoc said:
Actually I was just reading an article about this today. The numbers were from 99 and it said that the average salary for a full time professor was $103,100. For a full time associate professor it was $84,000 and for an assistant professor it was $67,550.

Jeeze - that's really not too bad at all. :thumbup: Thanks for the stats, man!

ItsGavinC said:
Ours make $4-5,000 a week. This is for approx. 28-32 hours teaching.

$200,000 - $250,000 a year?

If it is a public school, then the salaries are required to be published! I dunno where though. I think most dental teachers average ~ 80k

ItsGavinC said:
At Arizona, most (or all?) profs only teach for a very limited stretch of time at once, though, right? So the salary they get would only last for as long as they're there teaching, which is much less than a full year, I think, in a lot of cases.

So Arizona ends up *paying* a total of that much to have a faculty position *occupied* for a full academic year, but no one professor actually makes that huge figure. Gavin, am I close? So far, this is just conjecture (but I had an urge to blurt it out).

Iowa instructors usually start around 80-85K. Then as long as your teacher evaluations don't suck and you bring in research, you're making around 110 by 5 years or so. Our Department heads are making about 150-160, and OMFS in the neighborhood of 250 if they've been there a fairly long time. The dean of our school makes about 250-260. The new salaries just were published in the Des Moines Register this week so these are for the 2003 fiscal year.

ItsGavinC said:
Arizona professors are filthy rich! ($250K/yr). :D

Trypmo was correct in his assumption. Our professors the first semester are only teaching for a max of 2 weeks (or ~10 days of lecture). The number is actually probably much higher than $250,000--however it wasn't paid to one person, but more like 25-30 professors.

Some of our professors this second semester have taught for 5+ weeks, and I don't know how they are paid.

The woman who taught us Pathology who also does path at the school gets paind 250,000. It was in our school paper as one of the highest salaries at the school. An endo guy made about 220,000 i believe. Keep in mind this is teaching in addition to their respective work at the school.

DcS said:
The woman who taught us Pathology who also does path at the school gets paind 250,000. It was in our school paper as one of the highest salaries at the school. An endo guy made about 220,000 i believe. Keep in mind this is teaching in addition to their respective work at the school.
No wonder D-schools cost so much!, I thought it was mostly to do with facility, tools and materials... professors take a big chunk of our tuition.

DcS said:

If you've seen this woman, you know why she get's paid $250K! ;)

JMHO
Rob

no2thdk999 said:
If you've seen this woman, you know why she get's paid $250K! ;)

JMHO
Rob
Huh?? :confused:

Does anyone know what the qualifications to teach are? For instance, could any DMD/DDS teach or would one need a masters or Ph. D in addition to that?(I know it might depend on the subject, I'm sure those that teach basic sciences would probably have a Ph.D in that area)

Mo007 said:
No wonder D-schools cost so much!, I thought it was mostly to do with facility, tools and materials... professors take a big chunk of our tuition.

Not really, they are producing also. The Pathologist probably takes on cases for which the school gets paid, and the endodontists also sees patients for which the school gets paid. If anything the endodontist is taking a pay cut by working in academia.

Since academia is my career plan, I've looked into this subject carefully.

Midoc is correct - beginning dental prof's generally start around +60K. This figure can be enhanced by

*experiance/years teaching
*faculty practice (or private practice) income
*additional degrees - eg. a phd or specialty MS vs. a straight DDS/DMD
*desperation of school/dept. hiring you (some areas have a more slender hiring pool than others)
*grant funding - you add your own salary as part of the funding request in many of them

I believe the average 5 year salary hits 100K. I joke that my PhD will actually decrease my earning potential (despite the 3 extra years of school) once i get my DDS, however it will keep me sane and doing something I love =)