how much general medicine in PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

neurotrancer

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How much of a given PM&R pt. visit involves dealing with general medicine issues?

I heard form one person who was a former PM&R who switched for family med say that it is a lot of family medicine. Do you agree?

I'm really conflicted as far as my interests go...I'm interested in general medicine a lot, but I also think I would like to treat neurodegenerative diseases a lot too. PM&R seems more interventional than neurology though. any thoughts would be much appreciated.
 
How much of a given PM&R pt. visit involves dealing with general medicine issues?

I heard form one person who was a former PM&R who switched for family med say that it is a lot of family medicine. Do you agree?

I'm really conflicted as far as my interests go...I'm interested in general medicine a lot, but I also think I would like to treat neurodegenerative diseases a lot too. PM&R seems more interventional than neurology though. any thoughts would be much appreciated.

That depends on the sphere of practice. For a resident on an inpatient rehab unit there is a decent amount of bread and butter medical issues. From what I hear (those who are in practice feel free to chime in) in the 'real world' hospitalists are often involved to handle some of these things.

In the outpatient setting-there is very little focus on general medicine in itself, but certainly plenty of overlap with Rheum, Neuro, Ortho, etc. I do not wear a stethoscope in the outpatient clinic if that gives you some idea. While it is ncessary to keep a wide differential diagnosis in mind-if someones review of systems makes you think that they need more medicine workup that is probably best referred back. It takes me long enough to do a thorough MSK H&P, especially for folks with chronic pain-it can be hard enough to focus the visit as it is.

I guess I do not see where I would describe any of it as 'a lot of family medicine'.

How far along are you in school?