How much have you made so far

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess pharmacy and emergency medicine are the hot tickets in medicine now... Can it get any better than that?

Members don't see this ad.

69k so far. Looks like I'm on track to barely break 100k again. I work for a hospital in the SE and feel like I've been stuck with a terrible wage due to graduating at the tail end of the recession. It feels like things are starting to pick up around here now, so maybe I can do something about it.

$24k so far while in school. On track to break $32k. Woot! :p

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
69k so far. Looks like I'm on track to barely break 100k again. I work for a hospital in the SE and feel like I've been stuck with a terrible wage due to graduating at the tail end of the recession. It feels like things are starting to pick up around here now, so maybe I can do something about it.
I'm also pretty low at my main job at $77k, and I'm also in the SE. So I started to get out there and hustle for per diem jobs. There are plenty out there and I've picked up an extra $18k.

It's fun to talk about gross salary but what actually matters is the number after the taxman is done with you. It is is hard for me to accept how much we give state/fed every year

Reactions: 1 user
It's fun to talk about gross salary but what actually matters is the number after the taxman is done with you. It is is hard for me to accept how much we give state/fed every year

I tell myself I buy charlottes web for every 2nd grader in California.

And pay a teacher's salary or two.

I went to public school from 2nd-22nd grade. I can justify it in terms of sponsoring the school systems.

Isn't that uniform across all health professions though?

I just assume someone has to pay for all the lazy welfare queens who don't wanna work and the state enables them so of course they're going to take full advantage.

If only our taxes could go towards our own student loans instead, it's not as if they don't profit from the interest...

You have to take out tons of money to better yourself while others receive tons of money to get by for free.

I've always looked at it as me paying for the Medicaid recipient's holy trinity (oxy/hydrocodone, soma, xanax) as it seems 90% of the people on that have Medicaid. The money comes back to me (well, not really).

I just assume someone has to pay for all the lazy welfare queens who don't wanna work and the state enables them so of course they're going to take full advantage.
By welfare queens, do you mean pharmacy students? Because they often qualify for medical assistance. Some of us are just paying back the government for the help they gave us earlier in our careers before we could afford our own health insurance.

By welfare queens, do you mean pharmacy students? Because they often qualify for medical assistance.
How is that possible when they're student loans are considered income and they're going to 40k plus a year schools and that's just the tuition...

How is that possible when they're student loans are considered income and they're going to 40k plus a year schools and that's just the tuition...
I think it depends on the state, but that's not how it worked where I went to school. My school also didn't cost anywhere near that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I would have known this was an option when I was in school. I found out about it my last year .
People in grad school usually don't like to share these 'stuff'. I found out from a friend who is getting it and start mentioning other people in my class who are also on the government dough. I find it very generous the kind of assistance some of these people are getting... My friend has 2 kids and he is getting over $500/month. I am sure some of these people later will criticize others that are on food stamps forgetting or ignoring they were on it.

<$40k so far

Part-time, but I pick up extra shifts. Hospital. Maternity leave, unpaid for 2 checks.

Going to do wonders for my taxes next year.

Loans have never been considered income by the IRS (but the discharge of most loans are considered income.) I am very thankful for food stamps and Medicaid while I was in school -- family got decent food and medical care. It was a pain to explain how I was using loans to pay for housing expenses every six months when I had to reapply for food stamps/Medicaid though, they always were probing for some unreported income -- as a full time student where would one find time to work AND then hide the income.

Loans have never been considered income by the IRS (but the discharge of most loans are considered income.) I am very thankful for food stamps and Medicaid while I was in school -- family got decent food and medical care. It was a pain to explain how I was using loans to pay for housing expenses every six months when I had to reapply for food stamps/Medicaid though, they always were probing for some unreported income -- as a full time student where would one find time to work AND then hide the income.
I worked 30+ hours per week (most of the time 40) during pharmacy school and had a 3.3 GPA or so. It wasn't easy, but was doable

I hear ya, I did 12 hrs/week retail until I got an internship at a hospital in my final year and did both for 30+ hours/week. Learned more that way and the money helped (though the caseworker lied in encouraging me to work more, I wound up losing half my extra income in reduced food stamps. Still pissed at her to this day.)

Why didn't you use loans for food and healthcare instead of using other people's hard work?

Student loans can't be considered income, else the IRS would be all over that.

It only becomes income when forgiven and a 1099-C issued.

Why didn't you use loans for food and healthcare instead of using other people's hard work?
LOL, that's a very very ignorant statement. First, your student loans only cover only your food and no healthcare. Second, how much do you think I would have to pay for family health insurance that is actually useful and not just major medical?

I've paid plenty of taxes prior to pharmacy school and will pay plenty more in the future. I don't have any reason to feel guilty receiving those benefits when I am in need of them, that's what a safety net is for.

Reactions: 3 users
^ yes, getting an mba from a third rate school and then get on PSLF so the taxpayers would pay for your pharmacy and business school tuition is also a safety net?

Ah the PSLF butthurt ***** rears his head again...

Don't count your chickens before they are hatched. You still have many years to go.

"The collection of incentives—passed in separate measures over several years—weren’t intended to work together to help so many grad borrowers. The Obama administration is taking steps that it says will better target borrowers who need help the most, such as new rules to extend the repayment period from 20 to 25 years for grad borrowers on income-based repayment."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/loan-binge-by-graduate-students-fans-debt-worries-1439951900

Just keep that hand out. You'r entitled to it. Once a welfare queen, always a welfare queen. You took advantage of the system so your no better than your future "patients".

Last edited:
Just keep that hand out. Your entitled it. Once a welfare queen, always a welfare queen. You took advantage of he system so your no better than your future "patients".
That's ridiculous -- patients on medical assistance are vetted for whether or not they qualify. If they qualify, they qualify; end of story. I had classmates who got very sick during school and required some very expensive immunomodulators (had never been sick before). Without medical assistance, how would they have afforded this as a pharmacy student? $10k per year in out of pocket costs plus $3k in premiums at a loan rate of 8%+ doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? Does this make them a "welfare queen/king"? Even that term makes me angry. We have social supports for a reason. If somebody needs it, they should use it. One day it might be you or your loved one who requires social support. What will you think then?

He didn't say he had an emergency. He said since he figured he'd pay a lot of taxes in the future he's entitled to get as much welfare as he could. He took advantage of it. A ton of us pay a lot of taxes that doesn't mean we try to milk as much back as we can.

He didn't say he had an emergency. He said since he figured he'd pay a lot of taxes in the future he's entitled to get as much welfare as he could. He took advantage of it. A ton of us pay a lot of taxes that doesn't mean we try to milk as much back as we can.
If he qualified, he qualified. We went to school for pharmacy, not social work. Our job isn't to determine who qualifies and why or why not; it's not our place to judge.

145k so far, not like I care much anymore, anything over 100k gross is enough for me when my expenses is less than 15k/yr...

Why bother, shrouds have no pockets......

So funny that this conversation has changed from people being on track to make 200k this year to a thread about the same people receiving Medicaid.

Just keep that hand out. You'r entitled to it. Once a welfare queen, always a welfare queen. You took advantage of the system so your no better than your future "patients".

I treat my personal finances like a corporation and remove all possible emotion in the process. I will take advantage of every possible dollar available to me no matter what the source, government agency, and moral hazard involved.

My test is...if Wal-Mart, JP Morgan, and Goldman-Sachs would take advantage of it, so will I.

Business is business. Money is business.

Damn this is a pissing contest. I'm 12 on 2 off. And getting payed like a peasant #residencybetterpayoff

$131k+ so far, about 44 hrs/wk, SoCal, chain retail....

If these people are working <55 hrs/wk, 150k+/year is a lot of money no matter how many years have been working as a pharmacist... Most professionals will not see that kind of salary in their lifetime.

Every time I visit this forum, I am reminded of the mistake I made of giving up my pharm school acceptance for the class of 2016 to pursue medicine... :mad:

Dude, you'll make a lot more than $150k as even a family physician. Don't look at some internet sites as they don't really include the "happier" docs making a lot more.

If going into EM, the rate in Texas and other Southern states are at $200-270 per hr (except free standings and urgent cares where you see easy patients and less of them). If you only work the average of 36 hrs per week (which is actually a lot in EM), you'll get $400k on the low end. Medscape and other sites state $350k in the south region, but every single doc has told me otherwise. If you'd work at my current location where they're paying $270/hr, that would be $772k for 55hrs/wk.

There was a doc that told me he had never made less than $1 million per year, but it's getting harder every year. He told me to stay out of medicine because of this and go into business. Come on lol. You can't make millions in medicine anymore, but it's still a LOT of money.

Reactions: 1 users
I made 149 k this year.
Staff rph at cvs. With over 20 k in ot

I don't measure my success in monetary values- I measure it by the number of students I make smile over the course of the calendar year.

Smiles since January: two.

I'm way ahead of last year.

You track success by smiles?

I use tears.

I kid.

:laugh: I measure it in iatrogenic existential crises: 1.

Banner year.

Reactions: 1 users
Had a pretty good year. 152k from wages + 38k realized from taxable investments = 190k.

Nice! Is the 38 k from ESSP profit?
Yep, mostly ESPP, stock options and some mutual fund gains. Actually I've already calculated my taxes for 2015 and was surprised at how reasonably low they are. $35k tax out of a $171k AGI (after subtracting 18k 401k and insurance) = 20% federal, and no state taxes in Florida.

$235k probably after last paycheck of the year. Trust me... I don't ask for this sh1t. My RX manager on loa and they decided I can handle 450+ rx/day by myself working 13h shifts on most days and I got 30-40 hours OT every 2 weeks. Total taxes paid so far 70k+... yea fml...

Not sure what my last paycheck will be exactly, but I'm at $171K as of my final check for the year from my per diem job.

I took over 200 hours of PTO - that pays $6/HR less than my usual rate because I work mid shift. The per diem job averaged out to 1 shift/wk.

I'm pretty ok with how clinical pharmacy is treating me.

Final tally for 2015 (wages): $170,800 ($163.8k @ main gig + like 5 weeks of vacation taken, $7k @ agency). Kept my OT to 32 hours (see previous post).

Side business I run grossed like $60k or something, around $30k profit, but see previous post for explanation of why I don't include it.

I must be doing something wrong. That I way more than me !!! :-(

No, it's just California. You've done nothing wrong.

I've been offered a couple jobs elsewhere in the country and the pay difference is staggering.

I am pulling in 294 k for 2015. Mostly from investment. I am grateful and I am hoping for a good 2016 as well.

For those of you who refer to working a lot of OT -- can I ask if you guys are working in a retail or hospital setting? The reason I'm curious is because in the past, I've heard retail pharmacists on here say that they're not really permitted to work much OT, so I was just wondering how common it was for a retail pharmacist to have the opportunity to increase their income via working OT.

For those of you who refer to working a lot of OT -- can I ask if you guys are working in a retail or hospital setting? The reason I'm curious is because in the past, I've heard retail pharmacists on here say that they're not really permitted to work much OT, so I was just wondering how common it was for a retail pharmacist to have the opportunity to increase their income via working OT.
Extremely rare to get as much as I get from 1 company...

The reason I'm curious is because in the past, I've heard retail pharmacists on here say that they're not really permitted to work much OT, so I was just wondering how common it was for a retail pharmacist to have the opportunity to increase their income via working OT.

I've never heard that. All the overtime you could ask for here. Of course here 'overtime' is a pittence for salaried pharmacists so that probably helps.

Depends on the hospital.

When you're fully staffed like we are, there is zero OT and we're encouraged to flex.

When there's a lot of turnover there tends to be OT available.