How much is good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kptnau

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I have some good stats but I was wondering if they are good enough to get into the best schools. Let me know if you have any experience in that area.

GPA: 3.95 (3.9 science)
GRE: 162 V 159 Q 4.0 AW
Hours: 900 at outpatient ortho clinic (300 volunteer, 600 paid) and 10 at an SNF observing
LOR's: One from a science teacher, but I have two therapists that are brothers working for the same clinic as the 2 LOR's from PT's... herein lies my biggest problem. I'm not sure how the schools will take that they are brothers with each other.
My extracurricular isn't that extensive. I have a few things to put there but not a ton of variety.

Is it good enough to get into NAU? Baylor? Any other tough schools? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys!
I have some good stats but I was wondering if they are good enough to get into the best schools. Let me know if you have any experience in that area.

GPA: 3.95 (3.9 science)
GRE: 162 V 159 Q 4.0 AW
Hours: 900 at outpatient ortho clinic (300 volunteer, 600 paid) and 10 at an SNF observing
LOR's: One from a science teacher, but I have two brothers working for the same clinic as the 2 LOR's from PT's... herein lies my biggest problem. I'm not sure how the schools will take that.
My extracurricular isn't that extensive. I have a few things to put there but not a ton of variety.

Is it good enough to get into NAU? Baylor? Any other tough schools? Thanks!

I don't know if that is allowed or not for the LOR. If it were me though, I would try to get a LOR from someone not related. As far as your stats go, I think your stats are really great, and I think you have a good shot of getting into harder schools. Just remember that an interview can really matter too, and extracurriculars can matter some. Also is the 3.95 GPA your overall or is it your prerequisite GPA? Both GPA's matter. No one can say for sure if you will get accepted into those schools though.

Last edited:
I think that, even though they are PT's, having your two brothers write letters also puts them in the family category. I know of no programs that will accept that. If you can you should try to get another PT to write one. Of course your brothers will write favorable letters and I think the admissions will see that as sort of a shortcut. Also, do you reside in AZ? As far as NAU goes, your chances of getting accepted are greatly decreased if you are out of state, but they do accept some stellar students. Ya never know until you apply I guess! Good luck nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad :)
oops I meant they are two brothers. Not mine but each others. I wouldn't ask a family member. And yes I'm from Arizona.

Surprisingly I was granted an interview at NAU last cycle and waitlisted-made it to #4! w/just lower that 3.0 GPA at time of application, 3.1 w/ AU in dec, lower science, 50%ile GRE, extracurricular and volunteer, good LORs, AZ resident. So you don't have to be perfect.........I came sooooo close. Think if Sc was higher I'd have been higher on the original wait list and made it. They went deep into the waitlist for seats. Good Luck. Don't think anyone can really figure out ADMIN decisions they know what they are looking for in the whole person.........and they try to make the fit. Reflect who you are as a person , in your essay.

oops I meant they are two brothers. Not mine but each others. I wouldn't ask a family member. And yes I'm from Arizona.

I would think that would be okay then.

Surprisingly I was granted an interview at NAU last cycle and waitlisted-made it to #4! w/just lower that 3.0 GPA at time of application, 3.1 w/ AU in dec, lower science, 50%ile GRE, extracurricular and volunteer, good LORs, AZ resident. So you don't have to be perfect.........I came sooooo close. Think if Sc was higher I'd have been higher on the original wait list and made it. They went deep into the waitlist for seats. Good Luck. Don't think anyone can really figure out ADMIN decisions they know what they are looking for in the whole person.........and they try to make the fit. Reflect who you are as a person , in your essay.

Hm that's good to know. I'm a tad worried, because I got the minimum verbal score that they accept (149 :() and got also got a lor from a professor in major instead of professor. Not sure why that matters or makes a difference as they are both professors, but we shall see. I'm hoping for an interview!

Grades and stats aren't what get you into pt school. It might help you land an interview but it doesn't guarantee admission. Your personal statement and interviews are pretty important too.

Grades and stats aren't what get you into pt school. It might help you land an interview but it doesn't guarantee admission. Your personal statement and interviews are pretty important too.

Grades and stats are the first barrier to entry. They determine who gets the interview and who doesn't. Most people at interviews, at least I found, were all academically qualified and had achieved pretty good grades. The people who get accepted have both good grades and do well in their interviews (i.e.- they answer the questions correctly). All you need to do is to meet the minimum requirements to be selected for an interview, and then impress them face-to-face.

Kevin

@nicolej5 - Is that really the case, that being an out-of-state student decreases your chances for a particular school? If that's so, I find that pretty unfair. :/