How much is GPA considered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current undergrad sophomore that has had a rough couple of quarters causing my GPA to take a nosedive. I currently have a 3.11 after receiving a C in gen chem over the summer which brought my 3.5 down to a 3.2 and this quarter received a C+ in physics and a C in calculus, I've learned my lesson from taking four difficult core classes in one quarter and will not be doing that again. The only realistic way for me to bring my GPA up fast is getting straight A's the next few quarters and I'm not sure if that is possible with two quarters of ochem and physics left.

I know I still have a year and a half left before I apply but I'm worried that my low GPA is going to greatly affect my application despite extensive volunteer, internship, and research hours as well as being a board member for my pre-veterinary club.

Do you guys have any advice or reassurance to offer?

Members don't see this ad.

The only realistic way for me to bring my GPA up fast is getting straight A's the next few quarters and I'm not sure if that is possible with two quarters of ochem and physics left.
Get straight As the next few quarters. If you have extracurricular volunteering/etc interfering with your grades, back away from those experiences and focus on academics. Get tutoring, do whatever you need. Your GPA is the easiest way to get yourself quickly cut from consideration from schools, and experience hours only go up; GPA can go down. Lots of people get As in ochem and physics. These last semesters will make up your last 45 GPA which many schools look at separately. Do what you need to do to get your GPA up.

There are definitely schools that accept people with lower GPAs, and you're not out of the ballpark by any means yet... but don't set yourself up for that. Focus on your grades (especially since you say you have significant hours already) and get yourself back up in the 3.5ish range to make life easier.

Reactions: 1 user
My undergrad GPA in community college was about 3.6-3.7 and in university was closer to 3.3. Definitely my science/core classes fell closer to 3.0 average around this time.

I had an unsuccessful attempt at applications last year but this year, I've been invited to interview at all the schools I applied to. I just really worked on strengthening every other area of my applications and following recommendations from the admissions review committee at one of the schools. That, and I hit the marks on the GRE (162 Q 160 V) which can not persay override my GPA but definitely makes it look not as important :rolleyes:

It varies depending on the school how much your GPA is considered. Some consider cumulative GPA very heavily, whereas others emphasize last 45 and science GPAs, as Trilt mentioned, so if you can ace your last few quarters that could really help you. Each school should have a breakdown on their website of how they evaluate applicants, or you can email or call admissions if it's not clear.