How much is too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

At what point (in your opinion) is a DDS/DMD degree not worth the price? Pre-interest

• $150,000

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • $200,000

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • $250,000

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • $300,000

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • $350,000

Votes: 16 12.4%
  • $400,000

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • $500,000

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • $600,000

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • $700,000

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • $800,000

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • $900,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1,000,000

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • A DDS/DMD is always worth the price because my parents will pay for it...

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Not worth it at any price... -_-

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

deleted735879

With tuition prices continuing to rise, I was wonder at what point most pre-dents would say no to dental school/entering the profession.

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it’s pretty disingenuous of Dental Schools to have secondary questions talking about access to care, underserved populations, and quality of care and then turn around and strap their students with $300k+ of debt. Schools have increased tuition to the point where students’ debt burdens require them to focus on volume and reject gov insurance, or risk going under.

At the same time students refuse to vote with their wallets and willingly attend USC, NYU, Roseman, Etc. And will pay anything to become a dentist. They are desperate and don’t understand the reality of $400k+ of debt at 6% interest, or somehow think it will be different for them.

it’s the perfect storm

Reactions: 14 users
I would throw in 200K and 300K into the mix as there are still some scenarios where that is possible. For me, 250K was my limit pre-interest

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
are the poll options including the compounding interest?

250k post interest was my limit, which you didn't give as an option

250k post interest was my limit, which you didn't give as an option

it's because the outrageous cost of these schools, around 400k, is already so common that 250k seems like you're lying when you say you graduated with that much debt

Is this cost of attendance or straight tuition cost? Because, these days, if you want to pay less than 400k COA, you either better get a scholarship or get into your state school.

I changed the options around a bit and specified pre-interest since I think that's what we can predict..... I reset the votes to specify these changes, so vote now with the new options and because you know that it's a pre-interest amount!

OP, if you want to change it/edit something, PM me

Reactions: 1 users
The average dental student graduates with around 300k in debt, for me I think the absolute limit for ROI is 400k debt.

If you think you're going to be an average dentist, maybe 250-300k. If you plan to work extremely hard and do what it takes to succeed, 900k-1MM (if you love dentistry that much). The big question is do you have what it takes to succeed in this profession? Only you (the one taking out the loan) can answer. If you are investing that much into yourself, you better have a good plan and the right attitude to make money. Otherwise, if you're just going through the motions, associating, and making 200-300k/year, then your theoretical maximum will be lower.

Of course, this doesn't mean that you should pay more for dental school. You should pay as little as possible and find the easiest school at the same time. However, if your stats aren't that great or you have some personality defect that prevents you from getting to a cheaper school, then you take what you can get. As always, ask yourself that important question: Am I willing to do what it takes to succeed in dentistry or am I going to coast by working for someone else? Your honest answer will get you the answer as to the maximum that you should pay to get into dschool. If you can't be honest to yourself, then ask someone who is willing to tell you the truth (for better or worse).

Reactions: 10 users
The average dental student graduates with around 300k in debt, for me I think the absolute limit for ROI is 400k debt.
300k is rather low based on pre-interest costs these days. I’d love to know how much of this average is skewed downwards by people whose parents paid everything for them.

yawn, another one of these threads... I agree with what @TanMan said - he hit the nail on the head. you get out what you put into it. its hard to put a number on something like this. I agree that prices are absurd these days, but if you work hard and live small for a few years, you'll be ok.

If you think you're going to be an average dentist, maybe 250-300k. If you plan to work extremely hard and do what it takes to succeed, 900k-1MM (if you love dentistry that much). The big question is do you have what it takes to succeed in this profession? Only you (the one taking out the loan) can answer. If you are investing that much into yourself, you better have a good plan and the right attitude to make money. Otherwise, if you're just going through the motions, associating, and making 200-300k/year, then your theoretical maximum will be lower.
Is it still possible for associates to make $200-300k/yr? I think in another thread here on SDN people are saying that most associates can't make more than $180k in decent medium-size cities.

Last edited:
Is it still possible for associates to make $200-300k/yr? I think in another thread here on SDN people are saying that most associates can't make more than $180k in decent medium-size cities.

I think so. You only have to produce a million to make 300k at 30%. Just gotta find the right practice and have the right attitude.

Reactions: 1 user