How much is TOO much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently owe $15,000 in student loans for u-grad. I am currently taking pre-reqs for PA school. I need to be done by Dec, so I will be taking one class for summer I, 2 for summer 2 and 3 in the fall. I had been taking 2 classes a semester the last year and working enough to pay for classes myself. Now, however, I will have to cut back on working in order to take these classes. I am really getting stressed out trying to figure out a way to pay for this, and the only solution I've come up with is to take out more loans. I am a single parent with a mortgage, car, yada yada yada...we all know the story. I am worried about the total amount of debt I will accrue once I'm finished with PA school...I am guessing around 50-60,000 (including u-grad)!!:eek: :( +pissed+
Am I getting into trouble? Is this an outrageous amount of debt to take on?
Suggestions, suggestions, suggestions!!!???:(

Members don't see this ad.

I really think this is a personal issue about your comfort level.

It's not unrealistic to be $100,000 in debt by the time you graduate from medical school. That's the way it is.

It really does depend on what your goals, both personal and professional, are. If you have a spouse, kids, large home, private school tuition to pay on top of educational debt, it can get tough. On the other hand, if that kind of personal "overhead" so to speak won't be in your near future, than educational debt can be manageable. I will have close to 225,000 if debt when I am through with medical school...but that includes debt from law school and from getting my MBA, on top of med school debt. But, I am unattached and odds are will have the long-term earning potential to handle the debt ok.