how much more favorable is higher mcat 38+ vs 33-34 mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callthedocta15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, everyone seems to say that it is not worth to retake the mcat at a certain point in the low 30s, pointing to reasons such as 1) the risk is too high for dropping your score or staying the same 2) there are better ways to use your time 3) it is good enough.

However, ceteris paribus, how much more attractive is someone with a 13 on each section (39) rather than an 11 on each section (33)? The differences between the scores are somewhat nominal. Is it really that much more impressive/ will adcoms equate a higher score with being more successful at medical school or being a better doctors?

Also, would you rather have a guy with 39 and just good ECs or a guy with a 33 and phenomenal ECs.

I am interested to hear the thoughts of seasoned members.

Members don't see this ad.

Ive HEARD that above a 35 any increase doesnt really matter...

If you retake your 35, people are going to question why the hell you would do that. A 39 may look better than a 35, but only marginally and definitely not enough to be worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, the MCAT score has NOTHING to do with the quality of a doctor and no Adcom will ever think that. All they care about is making sure that you will pass your boards (there may be some correlation between MCAT and step 1). Retaking a balanced 33 would probably be seen as poor decision making honestly. 33 is a solid score, and it will reassure adcoms that you have what it takes to fulfill the passing requirements. IMO 33 with phenomenal ECs is MUCH more desirable than the 40 with mediocre ECs.

33 with incredible ECs is worth so much more. I know someone with a 36 and 3.9 GPA, but mediocre ECs. Consequently he has only been accepted by our state school and has no interview invites anywhere else.

If you retake your 35, people are going to question why the hell you would do that. A 39 may look better than a 35, but only marginally and definitely not enough to be worth it.

One of my friends retook after getting a 35. Her second time around she got... A 36. Still got into Columbia despite the retake.