MD 3.9/521 CA ORM: Applied to 34 schools, should I add any more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungMoneyMint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first-gen, disadvantaged, CC transfer, White male from CA with a 3.88/521 (3.95 sGPA). I have taken a gap year w/ AmeriCorps, have 1200+ research hours w/ 2 posters, 1100+ paid clinical hours as a MA and a few somewhat unique leadership roles totaling around 500 hours. LORs are from 1 upper-div science prof, 2 science profs from my community college, 1 from upper-div Psych prof, and 1 from research PI.

I have applied to 34 schools so far, with a HUGE amount of effort being designated to 3 secondaries in particular (my top choices, all T20); this effort has kind of burned me out, to the point that I don't think I can put effort into many more. I know for a fact that my primary was well-put together, but I don't think all of my secondaries were of the highest quality/not all of them were in within 2 weeks.
My question is: should I be adding more schools, or should I be re-focusing on my life outside of med school apps?

This is where I have applied/am planning to apply over the next week:

(I received Miami, Yale, Penn, and Duke last month, but I decided against applying to these programs. Not really my cups of tea or the secondary was much too long.)

UCSF & UCSF-PRIME (connected to SJV)
UCLA
Columbia (submitted after 15 days)
WUSL
Northwestern
Chicago
Mt Sinai
Cornell
UCSD (submitted after 17 days)
Boston University (submitted after 17 days)
Mayo
Kaiser
Harvard (didn't have a letter from my second PI)
Hopkins
Case Western
Michigan
UVA
UC Irvine
Emory (meh secondary)
Brown
Jefferson
Rochester
Einstein
Ohio State
Hofstra
Tufts (meh secondary)
UC Davis
Rutgers RWJ (am connected to NJ)
Quinnipiac
Cincinnati (did SURF program at Cincy Children's)
USF-Morsani
Western Michigan
University of Iowa
Oakland Beaumont (submitted secondary after 15 days)
Pitt (meh secondary)
Stanford (terrible secondary; spent very little time on)
NYU
Stony Brook

Any suggestions welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're already burned out. Writing more secondaries will only come out worse.
You think I'll be ok with what I've got so far then? I can probably dig deep and cobble something together for a couple more schools, if necessary (as long as they don't have a Duke-esque secondary.)

You should receive interviews from some of the schools you have already completed secondaries for.

Reactions: 1 user