USMLE How much MSK anatomy do we need to know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OphthLover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realized that the FirstAid MSK/skin/CT chapter covers only very minor portion of the details present in the BRS Gross Anatomy's upper/lower limb sections.

Would the UWorld MSK questions + FirstAid MSK chapter be sufficient to do well on the MSK anatomy questions on the real exam (Step I) , or would it be wise to study BRS book along with them?

Members don't see this ad.

Man , there is no answer to this , just learn the info that you can 100% remember , no point in studying BRS and forgetting half the info in 30 mins.. , FA + Uworld seems to be enough to answer most q's

Reactions: 1 user
technically you need to know all of MSK anatomy. they can ask any question they want; the origin and insertion of any muscle, the relationship of any artery to a structure, etc. but they likely won't; just focus on what's in FA/UW since there are so many other important things to perfect such as pathology, pharm, physio, and micro. from my exam, i can tell you that you should know your neuroanatomy better than any other part of the body.

Reactions: 1 user
technically you need to know all of MSK anatomy. they can ask any question they want; the origin and insertion of any muscle, the relationship of any artery to a structure, etc. but they likely won't; just focus on what's in FA/UW since there are so many other important things to perfect such as pathology, pharm, physio, and micro. from my exam, i can tell you that you should know your neuroanatomy better than any other part of the body.

Would you recommend looking at neuro class notes or a neuro atlas since FA is fairly sparse on this topic?

not really sure to be honest. could maybe review the brs anatomy part for neuroanatomy, but i wouldn't recommend doing all of brs anatomy. one thing you should definitely look at is a labeled picture of a skull/brain cavity.