How much name matters for academic jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brazilianpsych

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there guys! Posting for my wife.

She is currently applying and she has two options in hand.

First, huge academic name, top 10. This would require moving away to another state and we would be apart from a while.

Second option is stating in town, in a solid mid-tier program. This is very comfortable for us, since it does not require moving or anything.

She is not interested in research, grants or anything like that, but she would like to get a job in academia just to work and teach residents/medical students.

How hard is it to get those jobs? Are they competitive? Worthed to get the top10 name?

I'm asking because in psych no one really wants to go to academia and there are a lot of spots, it's not hard to join one, but no idea about pccm.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless she is really committed to a career in research, getting NIH funding etc, probably not worth it to move out of town for a big name place.

Clinical academic jobs are plentiful these days, however many of them are not advertised on places like Practice Link and are obtained through word of mouth, connections, targeted emails etc. I don't see them as being especially competitive unless you are aiming for a top institution. Depending on the institution, they want you to acquire a particular 'niche' in pulmonology like IP, Pulm htn, asthma etc so some flexibility is required.

'Academic' clinical jobs range the spectrum from poor pay w/ high research expectations (even if not explicitly stated) at high-profile institutions, to community hospitals w/ residency program where the job resembles private practice, and everything in between.

My advice is that she should try to do fellowship where she wants to work after fellowship. She should only go to a "top 10" place if she wants to work at a "top 10" place afterwards. When it comes to fellowship, most places train fellows in their own image.

The absolute best way to get the job she wants after fellowship is to do fellowship at that institution and hope they're hiring when she's done.