How much of your worktime you actually doing something?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avrelian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
say your pharmacy is fully stuffed with technicians, how much of your worktime you actually count pills, read unundestandable doctor's writings, ets? How much time do u spend on the phone, talking with customers? Can you work without standing all the time? thank u

Members don't see this ad.

say your pharmacy is fully stuffed with technicians, how much of your worktime you actually count pills, read unundestandable doctor's writings, ets? How much time do u spend on the phone, talking with customers? Can you work without standing all the time? thank u

I'm assuming you're referring to a retail setting - right? Because I don't count pills when I'm in the hospital.

But, when I work retail & fully staffed - I count about 10-15% of the time (I count every CII & do all the compounding).

Read "unundestandable" (is that really a word???:confused: -- j/king - I know what you mean:D ) rxs - 1% - most are very understandable. Sometimes I have to give directions to the techs as to how I want the instructions printed, but they can all ready the rxs normally.

Phone - 15% - too much!!!! But...this is only because I've got a few patients who find me (& probably their doctors) a source of "connection".

Talking with customers (face to face????) - 70%

Can I work without standing all the time - yes.

I'm at Walgreens (24-hour) and it seems to me that they spend

- 40% of time on the phone (get called in Rx, call MD for drug interactions, patient questions & complaints)
- 50% time on the computer either reviewing data entry or reviewing product
- 10% of the time talking to patient in store

If they are lucky they will get lunch and they dont get to sit down while working (except is if you are pregnant).

My pharmacists count only when we are very short staffed (1-2 techs).

Pretty ideal work environment, eh? :laugh:

Sure retail pays well, but you really EARN it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sit whenever possible... a few minutes here and there makes all the difference. It doesn't make sense to stand all day, become fatigued, and make a stupid mistake that could kill someone. I sit as much as possible.

If it is Walgreen's policy that you can only sit if pregnant, that is just wrong...

How about for graveyard shift people?

I'm at Walgreens (24-hour) and it seems to me that they spend

- 40% of time on the phone (get called in Rx, call MD for drug interactions, patient questions & complaints)
- 50% time on the computer either reviewing data entry or reviewing product
- 10% of the time talking to patient in store

If they are lucky they will get lunch and they dont get to sit down while working (except is if you are pregnant).

My pharmacists count only when we are very short staffed (1-2 techs).

Pretty ideal work environment, eh? :laugh:

Sure retail pays well, but you really EARN it.

I agree that this is pretty standard at Walgreens.
I've seen many a pharmacist go without breaks or lunch.
My manager says he pees in chunks.
But I think if he really wanted a break he would take it.