How much ranking priority should be given to a program with formal or heavy ultrasound training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Please_Stand_By

Vault Doc
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've definitely been hearing more and more about benefits to rounding with US and being proficient using the machine with some pretty interesting health outcomes by doing so. Some places seem to place less to no emphasis while other programs seem to have a formal training course and routine use on rounds. Is this something to highly consider in this day and age?

Members don't see this ad.

I've definitely been hearing more and more about benefits to rounding with US and being proficient using the machine with some pretty interesting health outcomes by doing so. Some places seem to place less to no emphasis while other programs seem to have a formal training course and routine use on rounds. Is this something to highly consider in this day and age?
I personally think it's not important unless you want to do pulm crit or possibly cards. Even at programs without a formal curriculum, there are attendings who are more than willing to teach you if you ask.

not important to rank programs. if they have it, it's cool. if not and you feel later that you really really want it, you can go to a course to learn and then play with US machine as much as you want.

Essentially irrelevant. If you're going into PCCM or Cards, you'll learn it then (and have opportunities to do so most programs as a resident). If you're not going into those specialties, you're unlikely to use US in your daily practice. I haven't touched one since I was an R2...almost 10 years ago now.

Reactions: 1 user