How much reading is required in Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

One Fly Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really mind writing...
I like science...
I love math...
Reading is something I can live with out, unless I have a general interest in it.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's fair to say that you'll be keeping up with medical literature for the rest of your life, not just in medical school.

In other words, a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I remember some school publishing that in their program, you are required to read ~50k pages during your 4 years. Im not sure which school it was.

But back to your question, most of what you are required to read will be science material and you "like" science. So does the answer even matter?

I think I remember some school publishing that in their program, you are required to read ~50k pages during your 4 years. Im not sure which school it was.

But back to your question, most of what you are required to read will be science material and you "like" science. So does the answer even matter?

That seems somewhat manageable.. isn't that like 50 pages of reading per day (assuming 250 days of reading per year for four years)? But I guess the reading is also a lot denser lol.

There is too much, you'll hate it after the first two or three months. You will eventually be forcing yourself to read crap you could care less about. I've heard we stil read a lot less than law students, however. I am sure their readings are insanely boring, too.

The worst is when you're forced to read lectures/notes/books that are way too dense. That blows.

For each exam, we usually get a 350-400 page syllabus...and the exam is every 3 weeks. So yes, you'll be doing a lot of reading.

The worst is when you're forced to read lectures/notes/books that are way too dense. That blows.

It's horrible when a lecturer writes only 4 pages for one lecture. You think it's short, but then when you read it, every sentence is packed with information. But then again, we also have a lecturer who wrote 26 pages for a 50-minute lecture...that was brutal.

Thanks for the responses, I find medicine interesting and should eventually become a staple in my life.

Thanks for your dumb BUT intelligent response.

I don't get how my response is dumb.
You don't mind writing. Okay, both professions require a good amount of writing.
You LOVE math. and LIKE science. Engineering leans towards math with applied sciences, depending on the particular degree.
You don't really read much for engineering (looking at numbers isn't considered critical reading) besides the regulations and rules.
Med school has copious amounts of reading involved, mostly memorization and including all the scientific literature you would have to be reading most of your life, I just provided a reasonable answer.
You don't have to consider it, but based on what you said in your first post, you could be fit for an engineer.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't really read much for engineering (looking at numbers isn't considered critical reading) besides the regulations and rules.

There is a lot of reading in engineering. Requirements documents, design documents. There are journals to read in engineering, much like in other scientific disciplines, and it's advisable to keep up with them in order to be on top of recent advancements/developments, just like in medicine.

And an engineer who can actually write coherently and understandably is quite an asset.

You don't mind writing. Okay, both professions require a good amount of writing.
You LOVE math. and LIKE science. Engineering leans towards math with applied sciences, depending on the particular degree.
Med school has copious amounts of reading involved, mostly memorization and including all the scientific literature you would have to be reading most of your life, I just provided a reasonable answer.
You don't have to consider it, but based on what you said in your first post, you could be fit for an engineer.

My question was asking if there was a lot of reading in Med school.

If your teacher put on the exam:
Is there a lot of reading in Med school?

I assume your answer would be:
Be an Engineer

Am I correct?

Sounds like the proverbial five panckes a day you have to eat in medical school.

Was thinking of that analogy too actually. Guess we'll have to keep on top of things in med school :).

(On a side note, I don't think I've ever eaten a pancake before lol.)

Be an Engineer

Am I correct?
well if you want to be technical, the answer would be "it depends". depends on how much you read currently, and your passion towards learning. You're expecting a yes or no answer, correct? Well that my friend is a false dichotomy.

Be an Engineer

Am I correct?

:laugh::thumbup:

To address your question, I would definitely expect that you would be spending a lot of time reading in medical school. :cool:

You don't read scientific literature in med school, but probably as a physician, in conferences and such.

In the first two years, you can either just use the notes and supplement with books...so reading the notes, yes there is a lot, and the books are more supplements. People dont use textbooks, but review books ones that upperclassmen would be willing to advise(and sell you).

Third year, you use review books to read on patients and study for the shelf. You might have to google some stuff for a presentation once in a blue moon, but the reading in third year is MUCH lighter.

Fourth years, I dunno if they remember how to read :D

Be an Engineer

Am I correct?

I love how you are quick to make a slick comment.
I merely stated what can be considered given your statements.
I love how one phrase gets you all riled up. :sleep:

And, Maub, I did not know that.

For each exam, we usually get a 350-400 page syllabus...and the exam is every 3 weeks. So yes, you'll be doing a lot of reading.

And you'll need to read this 2-4 times to really get it down. Some people in my class don't read the syllabus at all though--they listen to lectures several times and study powerpoints. There is a lot of information to learn no matter what, but you don't have to spend all your time reading if you don't want.

LOLWUT?

I just had 10 scientific articles assigned as reading for an engineering class of mine (bioseparations). We read plenty.

LOLWUT?

I just had 10 scientific articles assigned as reading for an engineering class of mine (bioseparations). We read plenty.

+1

I recently had to read 2 about 300 pages books on environmental sustainability in 4 weeks for an engineering class.