How much research is adequate to match uro?

Started by Zibob
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Zibob

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rising M4 interested in Urology. I'm curious how many publications and research is needed in order to match. I have a couple of things on my CV already but seeing the number of publications by others is somewhat discouraging. I have pretty strong ties with my home urology department but my school isn't a big research powerhouse. Thoughts on this and other things to improve my odds of matching?
 
There has been research published on this: PubMed-Indexed Research Productivity of Students Matching at Top Urology Programs: 2017-2020 - PubMed
"The average number of publications across all 4 years was 2.38 ± 4.19. The average for urology-specific publications was 1.05 ± 3.19 and for first/last author publications was 0.80 ± 1.77. Most matched applicants had at least one PubMed-indexed publication (61.2%) and having over 3 placed them in the 75th percentile. It is uncommon for students to have urology specific or first/last author publications (34.0%, 36.5%). Top 10 programs matched applicants with significantly more research in each of the aforementioned categories and as program reputation declined, so did the publications of the applicants they matched."
 
I think research is more important than it was before step 1 went pass fail but what I have been seeing over the years since then is applicants beefing up their resume with a lot of junk research projects. Overall it’s rare for any medical student to be a part is some significant research so just having some research items shows an interest in the field should be enough.