Urology Chances/Need a research year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YumnaHumna

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN, I need some advice. I'm an female MS3 who originally thought she wanted general surgery for the longest time, and recently made the switch to urology after falling in love with the field. My main concern right now is my lack of Uro specific research and STEP scores. My urology department really encouraged me to go for it, and they're all pretty well known + willing to write great LORs for me. Unfortunately, we don't have a home program, but I'm planning to do two away rotations. Some of my stats:

STEP1 Pass

STEP2 247

2 Honors, one surgery one FM. The rest are pass (our school only gives out pass or honors, no HP)

Graduating with MPH

First author pub submitted in gen surg, Second author pub submitted in public health/surgery, working on two other first author pubs, one third author pub hopefully submitted before applications open

I also got added to 2 Uro specific pubs, where I'll hopefully be the second author for both

10 posters/presentations at conferences so far

Some of my questions

-Should I even go for it with how competitive urology is? I fell in love with the field and really want to keep going, but all these horror stories about people not matching are really worrisome especially with my below average STEP2..

-Should I take a research year at this point? My Urology mentors said I will get in somewhere, and they'll advocate for me but I'm not sure who to trust at this point...

-My main concern is everyone is saying to dual apply. In this case, maybe I can dual apply to Neurology(a field I'm ok with and can live with if I match) but I'm not sure how to curate my 4th year schedule to make myself competitive for this...I have NO neurology specific research or interest, so should I try to get that down on my resume?

-Any other suggestions you guys have to bulk up my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not Uro... but did rad onc at a program with heavy GU exposure; and during the time rad onc was actually "competitive."

My first thought was that you have a competitive applcation; a 247 STEP II would have been competitive in my day. You've got the research boxes checked, good LORs; I don't know how much 2 honors helps. When I applied the programs used the STEP scores far more heavily because it was the only standardized part of the application among applicants. You can't compare clerkship grades across schools.

If it were me; no way in hell would I take a research year when you already have all the boxes checked.

I also wouldn't dual apply unless you are really ok with doing something else completely versus re-applying. Re-applying seems like the end of the world for a medical student; but one year isn't a death sentence in the grand scheme of things. Its what specialty you are going to do for the rest of your career in medicine. Unless the app is a LONG shot... I would not.

The dean will badger you to do it, but that's not for you; that's for their "stats," We had a female applying OB/GYN who put FM dead last at 13 because the admins insisted. She matched there... and couldn't come to the stage she was crying so hard. If worst comes to worse; you should be able to match Neuro next time around and at least you will know that you tried.

And don't take this the wrong way... but DEI is totally en vogue now. Urology is 10% female.

Women urologists represent 10% of urology work force, report finds

It is what it is.... apply broadly but go for it.

I would definitely not consider a research year in your situation. It probably won't improve your application very much at all as research is not really a big deficit for you. What I would strongly advise is to try to do a third away rotation if possible. Your best chances at matching are places where you did a rotation and rocked it. Good luck.

Also, I would not apply to neurology. Neuro, really?? That field couldn't be more different than urology. Agree that you could probably match neuro on a second attempt if urology doesn't work out.