How Much School Spirit Is There in Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pride4jc727

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys,

I was wondering how much school spirit there is in med school. I understand that some med schools may have an undergrad component to the university while others don't and/or may be nearby university or college. There are many ways of showing school spirit. One way that students show this is that they may wear university apparel. I just want to get thoughts on this unique and from my knowledge and thread search on SDN, has not been frequently talked about or given attention.

Members don't see this ad.

Uhhh..collegiate sports?

That is probably the most exciting way to support your school, given that you are attending a university that fields teams in NCAA Division I.

they should totally make an AMA division 1 footbal league. that would be aweeeeeeeeesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, guys,

I was wondering how much school spirit there is in med school. I understand that some med schools may have an undergrad component to the university while others don't and/or may be nearby university or college. There are many ways of showing school spirit. One way that students show this is that they may wear university apparel. I just want to get thoughts on this unique and from my knowledge and thread search on SDN, has not been frequently talked about or given attention.

I couldn't say though some of the big universities do have their sense of school pride depending on their sports teams, however I noticed that even some of the smaller schools have their own sense of pride that is more tied to their school rather than any sports that are available. I saw this most at PCOM - they really are proud of the school and it helps that most students are happy there. My brother said he saw a similar type of school pride at Dartmouth and Pitt as well when he interviewed there. So I think each school may have their unique way of showing school spirit - whether it's tied in the traditional way to sports or not.

I definitely love my school. I wear the sweatshirts and whatnot... however the undergrad school we're link to isn't exactly the biggest sports draw in the state so it's not like we're out tailgating every weekend in the Fall.

Why would anyone honestly care? Is more shwag wearing med students a good thing or a bad thing? Make sure you go in to med school with the understanding that if you're hoping for an extension of the undergrad experience, it's probably going to be hard to come by.

USC has crazy school pride.

yeah, from what ive seen, i actually have a ton of family and friends that are trojans, ive been to alot of games, school pride is HUGE. thats probably why the alumni network is so strong.

Why would anyone honestly care? Is more shwag wearing med students a good thing or a bad thing? Make sure you go in to med school with the understanding that if you're hoping for an extension of the undergrad experience, it's probably going to be hard to come by.
dont be such a pooper

Is more shwag wearing med students a good thing or a bad thing?

I dont get it...isnt shwag bad pot?

i think schools have athletic clubs, but it's just not like college i'm afraid .. what sports do you play, OP?

I dont get it...isnt shwag bad pot?

Yes. But it's also slang for when schools/companies put their name/logo on coffee mugs, sweatshirts, pens, etc.

Nah - the promotional crap is swag.

Shwag is bad weed.

Sources: urbandictionary and wikipedia, and a decade's worth of company-logoed tee shirts.

Nah - the promotional crap is swag.

Shwag is bad weed.
Yeah, the promo stuff is called swag too. It's also called shwag/schwag. Do a quick search and you'll find references. Maybe it's a regional thing? Dunno. Going to tech conferences and working with marketing, I always heard shwag/schwag (realizing I've only heard it by mouth so I have no idea how it's spelled.

Definitely not debating it's use as herb.

nothing will ever replace my alma mater. Just like nothing will replace Illinois - Arizona 2005 elite eight game as the best late comeback in the history of all sports.