How much shadowing is adequate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foxsocks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional applicant and have worked as a RN for 5 years. I am currently shadowing an OB/GYN in her office twice a week but only have about 20 hours. She wants to know how many hours I need and I'm not sure what to tell her. Given that I have worked with and observed doctors in a hospital for 5 years, how many hours of shadowing should be enough for my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a non-traditional applicant and have worked as a RN for 5 years. I am currently shadowing an OB/GYN in her office twice a week but only have about 20 hours. She wants to know how many hours I need and I'm not sure what to tell her. Given that I have worked with and observed doctors in a hospital for 5 years, how many hours of shadowing should be enough for my application?
I was a behavioral health technician in the Army and worked in addiction treatment facility after getting out, and I had NO SHADOWING AT ALL. because I was a provider myself. And no one cared. I got a good number of interviews, and several acceptances to choose from. I agree with @gyngyn , and I do believe that for you as RN they will care even less about shadowing than in my case.