how much studying in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zbruinz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do you guys in dental school study everyday? In hours I mean...

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what year you are in. In the height of the "rush" (which depends on which school you are at), you can study up to 5 hours a day to get A's, or just do a "night before" cram to get the C. It's up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Underestimating course load is I think the biggest reason people tend to fail out. This is not like undergrad where you cna cram a few days before exams, and still do well.

Hand skills comes with practice, practice, practice. Some need a little, some need a lot, and some need even more. As you move on and promote into a higher year, your hand skills will improve. I do not think it is a reason don't get promoted, but you do have to show you are competent in treatment that requires some dexterity.

I've been trying to put in 2-3 hours and I feel as if at times I'm falling behind. I will still need to do some cramming for next weeks tests. It's just harder than hell to study all night when you've been in lecture for 8 hours. Not to mention I can't completly neglect my wife.

Yes, I agree that underestimation of study time is the biggest reason for failing out. What I meant by my post is that it depends on what you want to get out of school grade wise when considering study time. Not all classes can get passed by night before cramming. Some, but not all.

Main thing: You can study all day and all night and not run out of new info to read. Its up to you how much you do.

so everything is pretty much computerized at UNLV SDM..so do dental students have to stare at their laptops everyday for studying?

so everything is pretty much computerized at UNLV SDM..so do dental students have to stare at their laptops everyday for studying?

yeah, unless you print out the power points. but nobody does that. you get used to it.

I mean in general. 2-3 hours every day?

2-3 hrs everyday if you're gunning for As or top 10. Few hrs per week are sufficient enough to earn you Bs.

yeah, unless you print out the power points. but nobody does that. you get used to it.

Man, I can't stand looking at my laptop everyday. I and most of my classmates have printed all the power point slides out this semester.

The key at my school is the cliche "study smarter, not harder." You have to study the right things. At my school, every class has books assigned, but every professor pretty much tests straight off their powerpoints. Old tests are also crucial. Some people in my class still seem to insist on reading the book, though, and they're spinning their wheels. The people who study the right things can definitely cram 1-2 days before exams and still get As.

Members don't see this ad :)
The hardest part of studying is knowing when to give one subject a rest and move on to the next. Like someone said...you never run out of things to learn about a particular subject...so you can spend 100% percent of your time studying for one class...and be neglecting your other 9 classes.

I feel like that's what's happening to me.

How much do you guys in dental school study everyday? In hours I mean...

get home at 6:00 eat. 6:30 change clothes take shower. 7:00 study until midnight.

Get up and go in early everyday.

Study all day on weekends.

you will study all the time I promise.

get home at 6:00 eat. 6:30 change clothes take shower. 7:00 study until midnight.

Get up and go in early everyday.

Study all day on weekends.

you will study all the time I promise.

I totally disagree. How long have you been in dental school? I work out basically every day, go out on the weekends, and do other fun things for relaxation. Good for you that you study that much, but that is pushing it quite a bit. Obviously, before an exam and such, it gets a little worse. I would be careful- you are going to burn yourself out real fast the way you are working.

I totally disagree. How long have you been in dental school? I work out basically every day, go out on the weekends, and do other fun things for relaxation. Good for you that you study that much, but that is pushing it quite a bit. Obviously, before an exam and such, it gets a little worse. I would be careful- you are going to burn yourself out real fast the way you are working.

I don't know what else to do. I am overwhelmed with hundreds on powerpoint slides filled with notes each day and on top of that pages and pages of reading.

Please tell me another way to slack off and I promise I will try.

I have no idea what else to do but read, read read read until I fall asleep.

Heck, I quit taking showers and now take baths so I can read in the tub.

I cancelled my CAble service. No more TV, I don't have time to watch.

What can I do ?

I don't know what else to do. I am overwhelmed with hundreds on powerpoint slides filled with notes each day and on top of that pages and pages of reading.

Please tell me another way to slack off and I promise I will try.

I have no idea what else to do but read, read read read until I fall asleep.

Heck, I quit taking showers and now take baths so I can read in the tub.

I cancelled my CAble service. No more TV, I don't have time to watch.

What can I do ?

what? are you kidding? this is almost laughable. what school are you at?

what? are you kidding? this is almost laughable. what school are you at?

WVU.

This is the honest truth. I can't even sleep I am so stressed out. Its 5 in the morning and I am on SDN looking for help!!!

Does dental school ever get any better? I wanted to become a dentist a month ago but now its so overwhelming that I am about to say the hell with it.

I've been sick to my stomach over and over because of all the stuff they have been throwing at us.

I have 12 books, assigned reading galore, quizes each day, and mounds of powerpoint notes from each class, not to mention my first gross anatomy exam coming up in two weeks that will be on thousands, thats right THOUSANDS of pages of notes.

I see you think my posts are laughable but my life is what it is right now.

Dental school is harder than anything I ever imagined.

WVU.

This is the honest truth. I can't even sleep I am so stressed out. Its 5 in the morning and I am on SDN looking for help!!!

Does dental school ever get any better? I wanted to become a dentist a month ago but now its so overwhelming that I am about to say the hell with it.

I've been sick to my stomach over and over because of all the stuff they have been throwing at us.

I have 12 books, assigned reading galore, quizes each day, and mounds of powerpoint notes from each class, not to mention my first gross anatomy exam coming up in two weeks that will be on thousands, thats right THOUSANDS of pages of notes.

Perhaps you should study with other classmates from your school. Is it feasible that those right next to you are putting "slightly" fewer hours into studying and finding the right balance?

WVU.

The reason it is laughable is because they know its not possible to get through all the info they throw at you. Its how you handle it. I think we have addressed someone before with this situation. Take time for yourself and it will make a difference in your perception of what is important for your studying. Just keep calm and don't overwhelm yourself. (our you'll end up in the ER b/c of panic attacks)... :luck:

It only took me a couple of days before I relized that it's impossible to do everything that they tell you to do. Talk to upper classmen for advice on different classes and what sources of information will be on the test. For the most part I've stopped reading the texts and just study the class notes. From what I've heard like 90% of the material comes from the notes. Just calm down and remember that everyone in your class is in the same position. Ask them what approach they are taking.

From my experience, to get in dental school the grades I got in undergrad I had to study 3 times more than I did in undergrad.

1st year, I studied about 1 hour every night.
2nd year, I didn't think I would specialize, and 1st year study habits are way overkill for decent grades. So, I studied 1-2 weeks before the exams.
For NBDE Part 1, I studied for 2.5 weeks.
3rd year, I studied the night before exams.
For NBDE Part 2, I studied for 2 weeks.
4th year, you don't need to study.

From my experience, to get in dental school the grades I got in undergrad I had to study 3 times more than I did in undergrad.

1st year, I studied about 1 hour every night.
2nd year, I didn't think I would specialize, and 1st year study habits are way overkill for decent grades. So, I studied 1-2 weeks before the exams.
For NBDE Part 1, I studied for 2.5 weeks.
3rd year, I studied the night before exams.
For NBDE Part 2, I studied for 2 weeks.
4th year, you don't need to study.
Heh. That study schedule looks frighteningly familiar...

Old tests are also crucial.

The key is: are the old tests made available by the profs? OR are they hoarded by those that picked them up from someone they know? I've been in (undergrad) classes where the curve was set by those that had previous exams from their friends. Personally, I like it when profs make them available. It levels the playing field.

WVU.

Wow, you certainly paint a negative picture. Did you have to work extremely hard in undergrad? I've known a few that work very hard in undergrad only to achieve pretty good (not great) grades. I truly admire those that work very hard, but I would think that a heavy workload would impact a person like that first. They feel like they need to fully cover everything, and are unable to balance or prioritize subject matter/material. Hopefully, you'll get it figured out. Good luck.

1st two years suck. You're so stressed and adjusting the first year... and oddly enough you only have about half the workload of 2nd year. It's just that you've never been bombarded with new info so badly before. 2nd year is the worst. You double or triple your workload, but hopefully by this time you know what your limits are and find ways to get out and enjoy your free time.

It's not that bad. 99% of your colleagues make it out. It's that 1% that somehow didn't fit the mold and ended up leaving or just didn't make it. I still stick to the fact that getting into dental school is the hardest part. Making it out is easy... making it out #1 is hard.

right now i'm just looking at my schedule and prioritizing my classes...which ones have the more difficult material (volume and subject wise)...which ones have exams rapidly approaching... i'm pretty much attempting to study 1-2 hours per night right now, doing one subject at a time. i think that'll work better for me personally because my focus will be just that...focused...then again, i haven't had my first exams yet! i'll let you know how this system is working after biochem and my osteology exam (gross anatomy).

ps... how many other schools are using vitalbooks? do you guys like them or not? i personally love it thanks to the up close imaging and the search options.

oh yeah...i think i'm gonna hate waxing...any tips from upperclassmen?

right now i'm just looking at my schedule and prioritizing my classes...which ones have the more difficult material (volume and subject wise)...which ones have exams rapidly approaching... i'm pretty much attempting to study 1-2 hours per night right now, doing one subject at a time. i think that'll work better for me personally because my focus will be just that...focused...then again, i haven't had my first exams yet! i'll let you know how this system is working after biochem and my osteology exam (gross anatomy).

ps... how many other schools are using vitalbooks? do you guys like them or not? i personally love it thanks to the up close imaging and the search options.

oh yeah...i think i'm gonna hate waxing...any tips from upperclassmen?

Ya, the searching funtion in VitalSource is awesome! I don't really read the books but just use them to clarify things that don't quite make sense. With the search function it makes it really easy to search all your books for the answer to your question. Don't worry about waxing it's not that bad. It would actually be fun if you didn't have the faculty there to tell you what's wrong with your masterpiece.:laugh: Oh well, because of their criticism I've grown leaps and bounds in the lab.

somedays...i dont study at all
anothers...i study all the day...and night