cottoncandy500

2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I am struggling to not lay on the praise too heavily in the, "why our school," essays. How did you guys approach this? Or is it expected to gush a bit?

Last edited:

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's hard to convey comfortably imo. If you have someone from your UG school there (or who even interviewed there), I would contact that person and work in things they like(d) about the school. Otherwise, try and make yourself seem like a good fit based on your previous activities. It's tough, for sure.

OP
C

cottoncandy500

2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
It's hard to convey comfortably imo. If you have someone from your UG school there (or who even interviewed there), I would contact that person and work in things they like(d) about the school. Otherwise, try and make yourself seem like a good fit based on your previous activities. It's tough, for sure.
Yeah that's what I'm trying to do (the latter part, don't have friends at most of these places). I feel like such a little sniveling pre-med though lol.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Anything is fair game, except, save "you're the most wonderful school in the history of the Universe.

Reactions: mcatjelly
May 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I just spoke highly of their commitments to research in areas that interest me, the adoption of a new curriculum, the mentorship by exceptional faculty etc.

Nothing over the top, but real stuff that I liked, was backed up by my experiences and could "suck up with".

Do enough research and these essays write themselves.

Reactions: HybridEarth

gannicus89

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I didn't really suck up at all. Just highlighted aspects of their program that I am interested in or feel that I can contribute to.

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Above all else, don't lie. Find something that makes you interested in the program, and be genuine.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
I'm all, "your esteemed institution" and , "your impressive research."
And if you're asked at an interview, "Why do you feel our institution is esteemed?" or "Which research did you find impressive?" will you look like a deer in the headlights, or will you have an answer? And if you DO have an answer, why not put those reasons in the essay so as to avoid potentially embarrassing cross-examination should you be invited to interview?

Last edited:

HybridEarth

2+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I emphasized 1) values of the school that resonate with my life experiences 2) curriculum and clinicals 3) research 4) what really stood out about other opportunities/community outreach/student life, and 5) location. This essay becomes really straightforward (and exciting) to write if you really like a program.

Reactions: oOKawaiiOo

nwts

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I think it depends on what you mean by "sucking up." Stating specific reasons that you are interested in the school and writing positively about these things is a good thing to do. Using a bunch of vague, ambiguous positive adjectives is probably not the best idea.

For example, I wouldn't write something like: "I would be honored to be given the amazing opportunity of studying at your highly regarded medical school." This says nothing at all about what you find appealing about them, and it can come off as very disingenuous. In general, if it's something that would feel awkward to say out loud to the dean of admissions, I probably wouldn't write it in the "Why XYZ?" essay.