How much sucking up in secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cottoncandy500

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am struggling to not lay on the praise too heavily in the, "why our school," essays. How did you guys approach this? Or is it expected to gush a bit?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this is how I came off in all my "why this school" essays:

mediumdownload.php

Reactions: 12 users
It's hard to convey comfortably imo. If you have someone from your UG school there (or who even interviewed there), I would contact that person and work in things they like(d) about the school. Otherwise, try and make yourself seem like a good fit based on your previous activities. It's tough, for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to convey comfortably imo. If you have someone from your UG school there (or who even interviewed there), I would contact that person and work in things they like(d) about the school. Otherwise, try and make yourself seem like a good fit based on your previous activities. It's tough, for sure.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to do (the latter part, don't have friends at most of these places). I feel like such a little sniveling pre-med though lol.

I just spoke highly of their commitments to research in areas that interest me, the adoption of a new curriculum, the mentorship by exceptional faculty etc.

Nothing over the top, but real stuff that I liked, was backed up by my experiences and could "suck up with".

Do enough research and these essays write themselves.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't really suck up at all. Just highlighted aspects of their program that I am interested in or feel that I can contribute to.

I'm all, "your esteemed institution" and , "your impressive research."
And if you're asked at an interview, "Why do you feel our institution is esteemed?" or "Which research did you find impressive?" will you look like a deer in the headlights, or will you have an answer? And if you DO have an answer, why not put those reasons in the essay so as to avoid potentially embarrassing cross-examination should you be invited to interview?

Last edited:
I emphasized 1) values of the school that resonate with my life experiences 2) curriculum and clinicals 3) research 4) what really stood out about other opportunities/community outreach/student life, and 5) location. This essay becomes really straightforward (and exciting) to write if you really like a program.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it depends on what you mean by "sucking up." Stating specific reasons that you are interested in the school and writing positively about these things is a good thing to do. Using a bunch of vague, ambiguous positive adjectives is probably not the best idea.

For example, I wouldn't write something like: "I would be honored to be given the amazing opportunity of studying at your highly regarded medical school." This says nothing at all about what you find appealing about them, and it can come off as very disingenuous. In general, if it's something that would feel awkward to say out loud to the dean of admissions, I probably wouldn't write it in the "Why XYZ?" essay.