how much time is spent keeping up with advances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J Lucas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im curious for all of you Pharmacist out there, how much time do you actually spend keeping up with all the new drugs and technological advances that help the profession. couple hours a week? Or is it something you have to stay on top of daily? Not necessarily the minimum CE credits but what you would need to remain a competant up to date professional...

Also it seems like 95% of the pharmacist on this board are into Retail, can we get some pharmacist who are involved with other aspects of the Pharmaceutical proffesion to give some insight as to how/what they are doing? Not trying to be bossy, just promote the spread of information.

Members don't see this ad.

*bump*

This is an excellent quesion. I'd really like to know too.

Good question! I try to read something new everyday. Usually its an article in Pharmacy Times or one of the other publications we get for free at my pharmacy. I also do quite a bit of research on TV commercials concerning herbal products. (ie: Berkeley Premium Nutraceuticals the makers of Avlimil, Altovis, Rogisen, Enzyte, Ogoplex, & Suvaril.) I think this is a big problem in retail pharmacy today. So many pharmacists get caught up in the job they forget to keep up with their education. Pharmacist are the most accesable healthcare provider. Try walking into your doctor's office without an appointment and ask him/her a question about horny goat weed or any of the other random questions I get everyday. You'd be lucky to talk to the secretary let alone a nurse or the doctor. Yet anyone at anytime can go into a pharmacy and ask a pharmacist any question they like, for free. So often I see pharmacists just say "I don't know" when patients ask questions because they don't keep up with whats currently going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
As much as I have free time. Retail pharmacists don't have a lot of free time to keep up, and I know I wasn't going to spend time away from my family reading up on what's new out there. As a hospital pharmacist I have a lot more time to learn new things. I try to at least read something educational daily as long as I have time. Some days are slow enough that I can read a bunch of articles, websites, etc. So it really depends how hectic my work week is, but you get the picture.

GravyRPH said:
As much as I have free time. Retail pharmacists don't have a lot of free time to keep up, and I know I wasn't going to spend time away from my family reading up on what's new out there. As a hospital pharmacist I have a lot more time to learn new things. I try to at least read something educational daily as long as I have time. Some days are slow enough that I can read a bunch of articles, websites, etc. So it really depends how hectic my work week is, but you get the picture.

Which one do you prefer now that you have worked both hospital and retail? Obviously, the money is better retail so hows the hospital switch?

I don't know if they have this in every state, but in North Carolina, pharmacists have to go to class 10 hours every year as a requirement for continuing education.

If at all possible, I will never go back to retail. It's just not my cup of tea. I enjoy the challenge of Hospital/Clinical pharmacy with the ability to have a coffee break and use the restroom in peace. :thumbup:

And in California, we need 30 hours of continuing education every 2 years.