additional science electives like advanced biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redeyegal

Reaction score
I'm a strong science student, but I'm worried my current coursework might not be enough preparation for the demanding science classes in pharmacy school. Should I take some additional science electives like advanced biology or organic chemistry II before applying to make sure I'm fully prepared?"

Members don't see this ad.

1) You have to take Organic Chemistry I/II prior to joining any PharmD program
2) If the aim is getting a B.S. in Biology or Chemistry you'll have more than enough upper science courses
3) If the aim is 2-year prerequisites (minimum), keep in mind a majority get accepted with majority getting there PharmD (NAPLEX is another discussion)

Prior to eventually going the pharmacy route, I decided to get a degree in biochemistry in preparation to meeting all didactic requirements for many heath professional programs (medical, dental, physician assistant, assistant anesthesiologist, physical therapy, etc). It just opened up a lot more doors while feeling confident enough that, at the least, I took just as many upper science courses as most others.

Of course, if you're dead set on pharmacy, it really doesn't make sense to go beyond the minimum requirements. If you want to see if you can handle professional schooling, go work as a pharmacy technician while doing your undergrad courses. If your can work and manage your classes, you'll be set.

Reactions: 1 user