How much time to spend on the all important "Personal Statement"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sweet n sour

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know most of you are already getting mad..I know this will vary widely from person to person, but I was just curious how much time you guys took. I am currently studying for step 2 ( scheduled for late august) and am finding it hard to even get started on my PS. I realize it's not something one comes up with overnight. I will have about 1 week between my step 2 and Sep1st (which is when I would like to apply)

so, any suggestions? Should I take some time off and work on my PS now or do it after my test? 😕
 
Truthfully I wrote mine in about 15 minutes one afternoon. I thought about it occasionally beforehand, but basically just decided to write it. Was happy with it. Went back a week later and added in one paragraph when I talked to an attending about what things people like to see. Don't kill yourself over it. Just don't be too controversial or bizarre.
 
Unless you have a spectacular life experience in the realm of pathology, I don't think the PS will make or break things. Unlike yaah, I didn't whip my PS out in 15 minutes but I spent a few hours while I was on call during my sub-I to write it. Don't sweat it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yaah said:
'Scuse me while I whip this out. 😉
Dude, put that **** away. Nobody wants to see your personal statement. I read it. And personally, I thought it sucked. 😛
 
sweet n sour said:
I am currently studying for step 2 ( scheduled for late august) and am finding it hard to even get started on my PS. I realize it's not something one comes up with overnight. ...Should I take some time off and work on my PS now or do it after my test? 😕
Yes you're right - unless you're yaah, it's not always something that falls together overnight.

No I really don't think you should waste precious time "working" on your PS 🙂

I read a few samples, and then kinda thought about mine in the shower, on the bus, waiting in line... you get the idea. "Creative" writing can be like that.
 
It's a good starting point for interviews. Like if you write a good PS they may compliment you on it to start off your interview and they may have a better idea about you. But I really don't think it is much of a factor by itself in resident selection. So don't sweat it.