How much time would you have to do research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bionerd89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, how much time do you think a first year student would have for research? I really want to join a lab during my first year but I'm not sure if that is possible based on course load. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on your schedule it could be rather difficult during your first semester. That's something you'll have to figure out yourself. It is doable.

It's very possible, but I agree with NeuroLAX that you'd want to be careful first semester. Most people have to adjust their study strategy a few times to get it right and become efficient. Also consider doing a research fellowship between M1-M2.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll echo what others have said... wait until you know you're excelling in school before taking on research.

I wrote two papers during 1st semester M1, but one was more of a lit review and the other was completing/ adding revisions for a mostly written paper for previously done research. I wouldn't have been able to manage a worthwhile lab project while shooting for the class rank I wanted. I don't personally know anyone in my class that did basic science research during 1st semester, but obviously there are those that do and do it well. If you're doing well and feel comfortable with your time, I'd consider taking on a small project 2nd semester M1 with your focus on setting up a major position for the summer.

1st semester I would not advise. Get adjusted to school. Your #1 priority is finding your groove. Once groove is found, consider research.

Reactions: 1 user
Me before starting: "I WILL DO RESEARCH AND GET STRAIGHT A'S AND I WILL BE THE BESTEST STUDENT EVER"

Me now: "If I can just study enough to get a C, I can get a few extra hours of relaxation"

Most schools will have research opportunities during our breaks?

It's very possible, but I agree with NeuroLAX that you'd want to be careful first semester. Most people have to adjust their study strategy a few times to get it right and become efficient. Also consider doing a research fellowship between M1-M2.

I do a little basic science research during the week (like 3-4 hours). But I did a summer research fellowship and I think that's totally the way to go.

Most schools will have research opportunities during our breaks?

Your school may have clinical programs abroad (ours has a Global Health program that includes clinical experience and research in places like Tanzania, China, etc.) Outside of your school, summer fellowships are offered by professional societies or other organizations / hospitals, e.g.:

Pediatrics: APS summer research program
Anesthesia: FAER summer program (MSARF)
HHMI summer program
Gold Foundation summer program
...many more, check this page: http://www.med.upenn.edu/mdresearchopps/shortterm_opps.shtml

I did the FAER summer program, knowing that I wanted to do anesthesia. Learned a ton, met a lot of leaders in the field, got a paid trip to the annual conference in San Francisco and gave an oral presentation on my work. This yielded an abstract, a LOR, a meeting with the PD of the program I was working at, and it was a really fun experience. Lots of people tell you to lay on the beach all summer...which sounds cool, but this way you're getting paid and can still take weekend trips since research hours are relatively light.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Your school may have clinical programs abroad (ours has a Global Health program that includes clinical experience and research in places like Tanzania, China, etc.) Outside of your school, summer fellowships are offered by professional societies or other organizations / hospitals, e.g.:

Pediatrics: APS summer research program
Anesthesia: FAER summer program (MSARF)
HHMI summer program
Gold Foundation summer program
...and about a bajillion more, check this page: http://www.med.upenn.edu/mdresearchopps/shortterm_opps.shtml

I did the FAER summer program, knowing that I wanted to do anesthesia. Learned a ton, met a lot of leaders in the field, got a paid trip to the annual conference in San Francisco and gave an oral presentation on my work. This yielded an abstract, a LOR, a meeting with the PD of the program I was working at, and it was a really fun experience. Lots of people tell you to lay on the beach all summer...which sounds cool, but this way you're getting paid and can still take weekend trips since research hours are relatively light.

Are these programs competitive to get? I remember the undergraduate programs being very difficult to obtain as I applied to a bunch and didn't get any. Near the end of the spring, I kinda had to scramble by emailing 10 PIs at my school and was lucky to even get a few responses.

The year-long programs (HHMI, Doris Duke, etc) tend to be most competitive, but yes for all of these you'll be competing with MD and DO students nationally. Directly contacting PIs is another great approach, but you're less likely to get paid and it lacks the supposed 'prestige' of an established fellowship.