How much training and college do peds go through to be certified.

Started by Puppet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also what exams do you have to take. Do you have to take the MCAT. I would like to be a ped but I dont want to be bankrupt from college for too long because I'm not very rich.
 
First you must graduate from 4 year college/university with bachelors degree (any major is fine as long as you complete pre-reqs). While you are there, you will take MCAT and prepare application to goto medical school. You can attend U.S. allopathic (M.D.), osteopathic (D.O.), or foreign (M.D.) schools for 4 years. I think peds residency is for 3 years (you get paid during residency), and you can go become a ped. Some people complete fellowship after the residency for 3 year or more depending on the program.