How much transcript info required to get Residency interview invite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JabsterL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, any idea if interview invites may come even without a transcript showing all cores completed yet or CK score being in yet? I'm debating having a current transcript uploaded now without family medicine, pediatrics, and OB/Gyn grades showing, or I could wait a few weeks and have the grades for these 3 and my away psych rotation at a prestigious place on my transcript...better to submit one transcript now and then an updated one in a few weeks, or should i just wait a few weeks and then submit a complete one?
Do programs generally use Step 1, med school attending, and clinical grades to screen for psych residency interviews, or even Step 2, eras CV, LORs and PS?

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, any idea if interview invites may come even without a transcript showing all cores completed yet or CK score being in yet? I'm debating having a current transcript uploaded now without family medicine, pediatrics, and OB/Gyn grades showing, or I could wait a few weeks and have the grades for these 3 and my away psych rotation at a prestigious place on my transcript...better to submit one transcript now and then an updated one in a few weeks, or should i just wait a few weeks and then submit a complete one?
Do programs generally use Step 1, med school attending, and clinical grades to screen for psych residency interviews, or even Step 2, eras CV, LORs and PS?

Thank you for your help!

I'm not sure if this helps, but I had a somewhat similar issue. One of my rotations was accidentally left off my transcript, and I was told it could take a couple weeks to be fixed and reuploaded. I asked my advisor what to do, and he recommended applying with it still missing and then uploading a new one when the registrar fixes it.

I haven't even taken Step 2 yet, so I hope that isn't a critical piece of the screening process for interviews. :scared:

Depends on the program and your other stats. Many programs make a "definite/early" invite pile for those with outstanding credentials, even if their dean's letter isn't uploaded yet. Those in the "maybe" pile will be waited on until their dean's letter is in or their transcript is complete.

So in some ways it depends on you, depends on the program being applied to , and your competition of other applicants. Just like everything else in the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many programs make a "definite/early" invite pile for those with outstanding credentials, even if their dean's letter isn't uploaded yet. Those in the "maybe" pile will be waited on until their dean's letter is in or their transcript is complete.
I'd modify this to "almost all" programs invite those with good credentials without a Dean's Letter. I had invites from all but 2 programs prior to the Dean's Letter. Of the 2, one was a great program but the other was middle of the road. Most of the top programs I applied to didn't wait for the Dean's Letter.

If people look over last year's interview invite thread (a great way to find out when particular school's start inviting, by the way), they'll find that the big majority of school send out most of their invites long before the Dean's Letter gets sent. No idea about the transcript thing, though...

Last edited:
At our program we gave out interview invites to high-quality applicants on the basis of the ERAS CV alone. Second wave of invites went out for the marginal candidates ("the CV looks all right, I guess... but just to make sure, why don't we wait until the Dean's Letter so we can see what her grades look like?"). The rest of the invites to lower-quality applicants would trickle out later in the season as the higher-quality applicants started to cancel interviews.

anyone have thoughts on if i should submit my transcript, which has my psych sub-i grade but not my psych core (my last core; hospital has not sent to my school yet), or wait for the psych core then submit to eras?

I received a few invites before my transcript was even uploaded. My school uploaded our transcripts automatically, but didn't do so until after our third-year grades were finalized. After that, it seems like I have received a few more invites. I think it probably depends on the program whether they would invite you with or without a complete transcript.

anyone have thoughts on if i should submit my transcript, which has my psych sub-i grade but not my psych core (my last core; hospital has not sent to my school yet), or wait for the psych core then submit to eras?

That's a good question, too, and my guess is that this is also program-dependent. I suppose you can probably submit an incomplete transcript and when those grades come in they will be uploaded when they become available. I have noticed through tracking my application that it seems like residency programs are regularly downloading new applications and addenda to other applications.