How much weight do freshman year first semester grades hold?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppathepig

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! How much weight do freshman first semester grades hold? Unfortunately, my school does not have a P/F system for freshman, and I ended with a C in Physics 1, and a B- in Calc A, but have received nearly all A's after that with the exception of a B+ in Bio 2 and a B- in Orgo 2. I will end with a 3.85 cGPA and 3.65 sGPA, but if first semester is not accounted for, I would end with a 3.94 cGPA and 3.85 sGPA. I know that is not how it works and adcoms won't just remove my first semester grades, but just wanted to gauge how much these two grades will impact my chances. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The bottom line number that everyone will look at is your final cGPA and sGPA. An upward trend is helpful, but that C is never going to be completely not considered entirely.

Not that you need to worry with a 3.85.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! How much weight do freshman first semester grades hold? Unfortunately, my school does not have a P/F system for freshman, and I ended with a C in Physics 1, and a B- in Calc A, but have received nearly all A's after that with the exception of a B+ in Bio 2 and a B- in Orgo 2. I will end with a 3.85 cGPA and 3.65 sGPA, but if first semester is not accounted for, I would end with a 3.94 cGPA and 3.85 sGPA. I know that is not how it works and adcoms won't just remove my first semester grades, but just wanted to gauge how much these two grades will impact my chances. Thanks!
if you can, I would try to get your sGPA cumulative at 3.7 if possible

regardless, I don't think you're in a bad spot. Just get a good MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Given your later success (and a good MCAT score), you should be fine. Just apply appropriately and make sure you have the non-academic qualifications too.

I interviewed a med student on our podcast who flunked calculus in her freshman year. She still got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just kill the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user