How much weight does a research publication have on admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

any takers. Especially to some of the more competitive programs.

Members don't see this ad.

it helps alot. but so do alot of things. most competitive applicants for "top tier" schools will have substantial research experience, with or without publications. however, having a publication is something that is more substantial and has much more impact than a research experience without the publication. mstp programs will appreciate it even more. however, gpa and mcat still has much more impact.

Definitely a good bonus, another good bonus would be your name on some US Patents.

Members don't see this ad :)
mstp's don't really care that much if you actually published; other aspects of your research experience are more important.

I know that I was asked about a patent my lab worked on during the 18 months I spent there. I have the priviledge of having my name on it (sheer luck that I happened to be working there when we began the paperwork and final trials) and it was a great topic of conversation. We talked about what a pain in the a** it was to get! The patent is for an anti-cancer compound so I talked a little bit about the future plans.

Did it make or break me? I think it only helped. No pbulications to date, which was also commented on, but working on that too!

If you don't know your research backwards, forwards, and in your sleep, it doesn't mean ****.

To get into medical school you need interesting and outstanding extracirriculars. If the way you want to set yourself apart is by doing some or alot of research, fine. Publications are NOT required to show that you've done alot of research, including at MSTPs, but they're a bonus. Make sure if you do this that you really get involved for more than just like 1 summer and that you really know what's going on. I've seen too many applicants who only seem to have done research to bolster their app and/or have no clue what was going on in a lab or even in a publication their name is on.

My point is: do something you enjoy, do it for a long time, and excel/lead at it. This doesn't have to be research.

PS: I had no publications and I was accepted MD/PhD and MD-only to a number of big name programs. This goes for the majority of my med school friends as well.