How much will working in a pharmacy help my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JunkyardWillie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious what you thought. I've been working part time at a pharmacy for about a month and a half now. How much do you think this will help my application to pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

JunkyardWillie said:
I was just curious what you thought. I've been working part time at a pharmacy for about a month and a half now. How much do you think this will help my application to pharmacy school?

Month and half... will help little more than no experience at all.
1 year experience..will help little more than a month and half..
3 year experience will help little more than 1 year..

Well, I applied and was accepted to USC, having absolutely NO prior pharmacy experience. (I was told they weighed GPA very highly.) But, I'm kicking myself for not having gotten some experience because it makes learning the top 200 drugs extra difficult. But it's probably a good idea to get the experience to make sure that you don't hate the field of pharmacy, not *merely* because it will make you more marketable for your application reviewers.

Members don't see this ad :)
ailouros said:
Well, I applied and was accepted to USC, having absolutely NO prior pharmacy experience. (I was told they weighed GPA very highly.) But, I'm kicking myself for not having gotten some experience because it makes learning the top 200 drugs extra difficult. But it's probably a good idea to get the experience to make sure that you don't hate the field of pharmacy, not *merely* because it will make you more marketable for your application reviewers.

That is true. To someone who doesn't work at a pharmacy it probably looks pretty easy. It's not as easy as it looks in my opinion. I'm usually pretty tired after working for 8 hours at the pharmacy.

Well I gotta get a shower. I was mowing and I hit a stump and bent the blade. I sure hope that can be fixed.

JunkyardWillie said:
Obviously, experience in any area of pharmacy wouldn't hurt. Unfortunately, it won't be the first thing a school will see when reviewing your file. :oops: I would think that sort of experience would come in handy when you're at interviews to show that you are a serious candidate.