1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

how much would my EC's help?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by heyou5432, Dec 6, 2008.

1. heyou5432

Pre-Medical
    i am a student athlete at an NCAA DI school. aside from having a decent GPA, how much do you think that would make a difference?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Moderator Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Of course, but if you have a 3.0 not really. If you have, say, a 3.7 then being an athelete is very, very favorable. What is your GPA.

4. BeardedRunner

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Being an athlete definitely helps, but you still need clinical and research experience to be a solid candidate.

5. alibai3ah

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Its a great EC, but it def does not compensate for a lack of clinical or research experience. It shows you are well rounded and not a book worm, but it does not really demonstrate any dedication to medicine.

6. Twiigg

Removed

Pre-Medical
    What sport if you don't mind answering?

I think being a student athlete is a great E.C. Congrats, OP. :thumbup:

7. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!
    Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It's a very nice EC; I even got some questions in my interviews about some taekwondo that I listed on my application and that's not nearly as time consuming. However, as others have said, you will still be expected to have some clinical experience (a few hours/week for a couple of semesters) and a competitive GPA and MCAT.

8. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There are all kinds of great EC's. But what matters is how you tie it together with medicine. So to know how good an EC is, the school would really be asking you, "And how has this affected or will affect your career/decision on medicine?"

As long as you have a good answer to this, then it's a good EC

9. thesopranoswire

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    As a student athlete in d1, I feel that being an athlete doesn't give you much edge as an EC. But you can make it as a unique experience if you can relate it to you as a person and how it has matured you. Other than that, I don't think there is significant merit in being a college athlete.

10. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!
    Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I don't entirely agree with this. Being a D1 athlete shows you can juggle a really hectic workload, which is a lot of what med school is about. There's always merit in that, it just won't excuse you from the other pre-med requirements. If you can pull off being an a student athlete AND get in the usual pre-med requirements, you'll look very good.