How necessary are pm&r LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dangEras

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an M4 that's applying to pm&r this year with an issue that just came up.

My ERAS application has 4 letters (IM x2, Surg x1, and Anesthesia x1). Two of these letters actually mention my interest in pm&r.

I asked for a letter from my PM&R preceptor from this month and he agreed, but he just left for an extended vacation without writing it. The pm&r letter will now likely come mid-October or possibly not at all.

How detrimental will this be?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm a prospective applicant that's applying to pm&r this year with an issue that just came up.

My ERAS application is complete and has 4 letters from IM x2, Surg x1, and Anesthesia x1. Two of these letters actually mention my interest in pm&r.

I asked for a letter from my PM&R preceptor from this month and he agreed, but he just left for an extended vacation without writing it. The pm&r letter will now likely come mid-October or not at all.

My application is otherwise decent. Step 1-235, step 2-250. One paper in Molecular cell and one neuro case report in progress.

How detrimental will this be?

Unfortunately, I believe most programs require at least one letter from a PM&R doc, so what I would do is submit applications with 3 letters only then when you get that last one, add it and contact programs to let them know.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you ask someone else for the letter? Or somehow get hold of your preceptor while he/she is on vacation?

I agree that a PM&R letter is pretty much required. You could chance it but I wouldn't recommend it.

Mid-October is late to submit that PM&R letter (and it sounds like that's best case scenario). Many programs are sending out invites by that time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would explain your situation to another faculty member at the school and ask if they'd be willing to help you. Offer to spend a day or two in clinic with them or ask if they'd like to sit down with you to discuss your reasons for applying to PM&R so that they are able to write a stronger letter.