How often did/do you reference your textbooks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElPedorro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been told by several dental students that they are required to buy digital copies of textbooks, but very rarely reference them. Do you find you use your texts much in dental school? If not, what other resources have you referenced to learn the material? I know it's not on the same level, but I use youtube ALL THE TIME for bio lessons. I learn so much better from animations and drawings than walls of text. I guess I'm a visual learner.

If you wouldn't mind sharing your experience, I'd appreciate it! Maybe also add what institution you're at so we can get a little perspective from your posts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My school is required to buy virtual textbooks, don't use them very much. Most all info comes from lectures, ppts, youtube, wikipedia, old tests etc. The textbooks are a waste of money from my point of view, but from what I understand most schools require you to buy them so that military scholars and other people on scholarship can get the cost of books covered. Seems crazy to make an entire class pay through the nose and not able to search for old editions on the used market just to benefit a few.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing required. All powerpoints and then online supplements as needed. They issue a required list for the military/scholarship people, but no one is required to buy anything. Everything is in the library if you really need it. And a lot of textbooks can be accessed digitally through the online library portal; board material too.

Only thing I found helpful was dissector for head & neck. It made dissection much easier than just winging it.

I like to look at Netter in bed.

I've been told by several dental students that they are required to buy digital copies of textbooks, but very rarely reference them. Do you find you use your texts much in dental school? If not, what other resources have you referenced to learn the material? I know it's not on the same level, but I use youtube ALL THE TIME for bio lessons. I learn so much better from animations and drawings than walls of text. I guess I'm a visual learner.

If you wouldn't mind sharing your experience, I'd appreciate it! Maybe also add what institution you're at so we can get a little perspective from your posts. Thanks!

I bought some books for my first semester and I regret spending ~$300. There are some textbooks that are worth having. like Netter's anatomy book. But besides few, I'm sure some of your classmates will have PDF textbooks and whatnot. Our courses heavily base on lectures/power points our professors present. We can use textbooks to reinforce but I didn't need to most of the time. I say save your money on buying physical books.